Rancho RS9000XL Shocks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks

Just got my shocks installed today and all I can say after a 25 mile drive home is "Oh Hell Yes!"

They are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you upgrade to them from stock? What setting do you have them on?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM

Yes. 5 in the front 4 on the rear.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Damn I have mine all set to 1 or whatever the softest setting is.
Your teeth aren't chattering with it set that high ?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 PM

I love the 9000's beats the Bilstein by a longshot

I change mine every once in a while but never on one LOL
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Damn I have mine all set to 1 or whatever the softest setting is.
Your teeth aren't chattering with it set that high ?
Not yet! According to Rancho, 1-3 are the (near) OEM settings... Who wants to be OEM!?!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Just got my shocks installed today and all I can say after a 25 mile drive home is "Oh Hell Yes!"

They are great.
Just installed these shocks on my 2000. Single shock on each corner to replace the totally worn out shocks. Don't know the brand that was on it. Just a black shock with nothing on them.

I love the much better ride except for when the truck comes to a stop. It seems to bonce a few times kinda feels like a bobble head. The harder you stop the worse it is. Even very nice slow stops it still does it. Didn't do this with the old shocks. The truck had new front springs put on a few months ago.

When I put the front shocks on I noticed the bottom mount felt a bit loose. When I checked online it says I have the right part #s. The picture online of the shocks show a metal sleeve in the mount on each end. As you can see by the pictures there's no metal sleeve. That's the front shock in the picture and the rears are the same. Is there supposed to be one?

Also what have you guys done for the shock boot. Mine looks kinda hokey with the black zap strap and the bottom of the boot doesn't look right with the boot split. Sorry forgot to get a pic of it. When I look at the picture online of the shock the boot looks way better. Maybe I am doing something wrong???
Attached Thumbnails
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks-front-shock-top.jpg   Rancho RS9000XL Shocks-front-shock-bottom.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kf350 View Post
Just installed these shocks on my 2000. Single shock on each corner to replace the totally worn out shocks. Don't know the brand that was on it. Just a black shock with nothing on them.

I love the much better ride except for when the truck comes to a stop. It seems to bonce a few times kinda feels like a bobble head. The harder you stop the worse it is. Even very nice slow stops it still does it. Didn't do this with the old shocks. The truck had new front springs put on a few months ago.

When I put the front shocks on I noticed the bottom mount felt a bit loose. When I checked online it says I have the right part #s. The picture online of the shocks show a metal sleeve in the mount on each end. As you can see by the pictures there's no metal sleeve. That's the front shock in the picture and the rears are the same. Is there supposed to be one?

Also what have you guys done for the shock boot. Mine looks kinda hokey with the black zap strap and the bottom of the boot doesn't look right with the boot split. Sorry forgot to get a pic of it. When I look at the picture online of the shock the boot looks way better. Maybe I am doing something wrong???
You can get red zip ties, I however used (3M): 1300 yellow gorilla snot on my boots.
I get the hobble occasionally and when I set the shock to a stiffer setting that goes away for the most part.

I have gone through great lenth's to improve the ride in my truck and I can tell you the 400 lbs. of concrete in the spare tire was a big one lol Actually mean it.

Been looking at putting a 1/8-1/4 spacer on top of the overload spring just as big as the u bolt mounting area. That way the overload does not influence the ride until it lands on the leafs when enough weight is in the bed. That hunka chunk of steel is not too bendy and it stiffens up the ride for sure.
Once I get off my duff and try it I will post up the affects, if any lol
Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
You can get red zip ties, I however used (3M): 1300 yellow gorilla snot on my boots.
I get the hobble occasionally and when I set the shock to a stiffer setting that goes away for the most part.

I have gone through great lenth's to improve the ride in my truck and I can tell you the 400 lbs. of concrete in the spare tire was a big one lol Actually mean it.

Been looking at putting a 1/8-1/4 spacer on top of the overload spring just as big as the u bolt mounting area. That way the overload does not influence the ride until it lands on the leafs when enough weight is in the bed. That hunka chunk of steel is not too bendy and it stiffens up the ride for sure.
Once I get off my duff and try it I will post up the affects, if any lol
I've got them set at 3 all around. I have to go to a stiffer ride to get rid of the wobble after stopping?

I know what you mean about the extra weight helping the ride. I leave the 5th hitch on all the time, have a BackFlip cover on and a tool bow with junk in it. It helps the ride a bit.

Guess I'll send an email to Rancho.

Looking forward to hearing the result of putting the spacer in.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM

3/8 SPACERS ON TOP OF OVERLOAD SPRINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kf350 View Post
I've got them set at 3 all around. I have to go to a stiffer ride to get rid of the wobble after stopping?

I know what you mean about the extra weight helping the ride. I leave the 5th hitch on all the time, have a BackFlip cover on and a tool bow with junk in it. It helps the ride a bit.

Guess I'll send an email to Rancho.

Looking forward to hearing the result of putting the spacer in.
Ok I finally got around to doing just that and I can tell you the difference is huge. I went with 3/8 and it is the same size as the thin shim they put in at the factory. I did have to cut off the spring alignment tabs and make some that were a 1/2 taller so they still reached high enough.
The ride is like my wifes Tahoe, smooth as a station wagon. I can stand on the bumper and hop around and there is suspension movement.
It is a amazing difference and I will download the pictures I took of the process in the next few days. Truck now must go down 3" before the overload makes contract on the leafs.
I love the difference, its huge..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.