Steering suddenly very light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering suddenly very light

I have an 02 f250 and yesterday when I started the truck after lunch the steering wheel turned really easily, as if it were disconnected from the steering gear box. There are no obvious external problems--no leaks, nothing disconnected including stabilizer, and the truck is drivable. The problem is that just putting a fingertip lightly on the wheel and moving it will cause the wheel to turn. It is significantly different from when I parked it just one hour earlier. I'm thinking something is probably wrong with the gearbox or maybe the pressure is too high from the pump. The truck has 152,000 miles. Gearbox has never been changed. The steering is a little loose, but that's not the problem here. At idle I can turn the wheel from full left to full right with practically no effort at all. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like it may be a pump issue. if you can check the pressure, i would. then verify its within specs.

Sometimes people have worn components in the front suspension or steering and they cause excess effort. when they start getting ready to fail the effort is way lower than prior. Still, turning with one finger seems like too much pump pressure.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Another item to check would be your steering box. On the top is a 16mm nut with a long allen set screw in the middle. If the nut backed off the backlash on that gear would become excessive and create light steering. I recently adjusted mine as I had lighter steering than I wanted. Just don't go too far or you will damage the gear.
You loosen the nut and turn the allen set screw in clockwise looking at it from the top. Then hold the allen key and tighten the 16mm nut to lock in the settings.
Good luck,
Sean
Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look and let you know what I find. It might be a day or two.

Jon
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Solved

I replaced the steering gear box and that solved the problem. Again, I appreciate the suggestions. I decided to go with the gear box first because the steering on the truck was a little loose anyway while the linkages seemed good and adjusting the box didn't help. When I had the box off I noticed a significant amount of play in the input shaft, probably between 1/16 and 1/8 of a turn, which probably accounts for a good bit of the looseness that couldn't be adjusted.

Hope this helps someone else.

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.