D60 Free Sprin, Gears, Locker/Posi, Just Get New Axle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
D60 Free Sprin, Gears, Locker/Posi, Just Get New Axle?

Hi, first post here, thanks for the resource. I hope to be more active on here, I just got a 2002 F450 4x4.

So here goes with my first question.

I will be getting some 39" tires (Conti MPT 81) on super singles and I have heard about the poor design on the bearing for the D60 up front. I see the free spin kit costs around $2,000, then I have to get it installed or do it myself.

If I need to re-gear for the new tires I will be putting in either a locker or a posi
because the differential will be opened up and I figure why not at that point.

By the time I pay for all that, would I be better off ordering a complete, built, warranted axle and selling my original axle?

I'd appreciate any insight into this and thanks for the great forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I paid 600 bucks labor to have all new gears and a LS into my axles. The bearings are easy to do yourself and I wouldn't be surprised if they did that for you. I think it would be expensive to buy a new axle, especially when they are going to tear it apart for gears. Once you get done with your old axle it will be brand new! Throw some of those dynatrac ball joints in there as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply Layson. I suppose if they did the free spin, ball joints, gears and posi in one shot the labor would be a pretty good value.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Hi, first post here, thanks for the resource. I hope to be more active on here, I just got a 2002 F450 4x4.

So here goes with my first question.

I will be getting some 39" tires (Conti MPT 81) on super singles and I have heard about the poor design on the bearing for the D60 up front. I see the free spin kit costs around $2,000, then I have to get it installed or do it myself.

If I need to re-gear for the new tires I will be putting in either a locker or a posi
because the differential will be opened up and I figure why not at that point.

By the time I pay for all that, would I be better off ordering a complete, built, warranted axle and selling my original axle?

I'd appreciate any insight into this and thanks for the great forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
I paid 600 bucks labor to have all new gears and a LS into my axles. The bearings are easy to do yourself and I wouldn't be surprised if they did that for you. I think it would be expensive to buy a new axle, especially when they are going to tear it apart for gears. Once you get done with your old axle it will be brand new! Throw some of those dynatrac ball joints in there as well.
I agree W/ Layson on this, a new axle set up properly is going be a lot...

Not that it is a bad idea just expensive.

I would like to know more about your tire/wheel setup, I've been eyeballing those for a while. There is a local fire truck running those & they are sweet!!

Make sure to post some pics once you get them
Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Yeah they have to take all that apart to do the gears!

The only thing I don't like about the tire setup is the ride. They tend to ride pretty dang stiff.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am hoping they won't ride as stiff for me, I am using the truck as a base for a custom RV, so there will be a decent amount of weight on the truck that will hopefully soften things out.

If it rattles my brain out I can air down, carry more water, we'll see.

If you want to see my inspiration, check out Earthroamer.com

The wheels I have on order are from 1stattack.com, their products are specifically targeted at the brush fire truck market so it could be Fall Guy has seen.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Sounds good! Good luck with your project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.