Red Head Steering Review (long winded) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red Head Steering Review (long winded)

So it all starts, i have an 01 ccsb f250 4x4 with 361k on the clock. The steering wheel started to get sloppy so i did some research and came to find red head. I read some customer reviews and decided to order one. I call them up and its middle of march, i talk to a guy named neal and tell him that i need a steering box for my truck. He tells me what i need and then tells me it is 350 for the box, 200 for the core charge, 33 dollars for shipping and taxes so it comes to 590 and some change. I called him on a thursday and got the box on monday pretty quick i thought. I wait a week to get it installed by meineke by my house where i have been going to for the last 9 years so i trust them and have not had any problems. The next day they call me and tell me that the steering box is faulty. I drive up there and they explain to me that is does not turn easily and show me whats the deal. The steering box gets "stuck" when the steering wheel is in the straight position and once you put enough pressure on it it pops and turns again. Once it turns back to the straight position it gets "stuck" again. So i give them the go ahead to put one they have sourced on and i'll send the red head steering box back. I call red head up and they said just send it back and to call them in a few days to check about the refund. I drop it off at the post office on the first tuesday of april and mail it back with a tracking number which cost me another 25 dollars to send back. A week goes by and I call them up and they have not received it yet. This goes on for the next month. I go online and check the shipment info it says the package arrived april 24th. So i call up red head and talk to neal and he goes in the back to check if they received it and still nothing so I give him the tracking number and he also says it's delivered so he says he will give me my refund. so the following week i get a letter in the mail with a refund of 200 dollars which is for the core charge. I call him back up and explain to him that I sent him back the original and wanted a full refund. He goes in the back and says that he can not find the steering box and maybe it is still at the local post office and instructs me to call them and find out. I call them and talked to a nice lady named Sandy and she checked the store and nothing. I call them back and i'm a little aggravated at this point but i'm trying to be pleasant. So after all the phone calls and time spent on this red head basically tells me that because I installed the steering box on the car that i cannot return it and that they do not have the original steering box even though it was delivered according to the usps. Neal also informed me that the owner was "mad" at him for even giving me the 200 dollars back.

I am not the best at grammer and i will answer any questions that you have. I am just trying to let you all know my experience so you can make an informed decision before you chose to use them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Great I need a steering box...
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Might require a letter from your lawyer.

I have a Red Head gear box, but I ordered through a shop. When I had an issue with the first one, the shop made it right.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 AM

these are hard lessons
but always pay with a credit card not a debit card
and when sending high value items I don't trust usps ( 350.00 lost )
I ship a package carrier and get a individual's signature required

not just a signature required

good luck
and I would file a BBB complaint
while they may not Be a member the BBB wll still contact them and has worked for Me with big companies like Direct TV Chase Bank and My chitty aftermarket warranty company
Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had the same issue with a bad box that I had to return. FedEx lost the steering box some where in their Washington dist center. Talk to the owner or his wife they will take care of you. I think that Neal is the son.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.