Need help deciding on what brand of lift I should go with. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 241
Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Need help deciding on what brand of lift I should go with.

I've got a stock 2006 supercab longbed FX4 F350 XLT. I run unloaded about 95% of the time. Any hauling I do will either be yard work, the two ATV's or maybe once a year grabbing a skid loader for my buddy. And it may see light off road/dirt road use when getting to the ATV trails or to my BIL's house. Most of the time though it spends on the highway.

Right now the rear end of the truck bounces so much on the highway (while unloaded) I have a natural vibrato while talking and driving. Plus I have found fat jiggling in places I didn't know I had fat.

Is there any 2.5" or 4" lift out there in a non-wallet killing price (under $3000) that calms down the rear end of this truck significantly without totally destroying the tow/haul weight? I know I'm asking for a lot but one can always hope.

Oh, I should note that I just put new HD Bilstein (yellow/blue's) on it and it did not help at all. I also have Sulastic rubber shackles on it and they really haven't made any difference where I need it most therefore I'll be removing them soon and going back to the stock shackles.


Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livermore
Posts: 177
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Take a look at the Carli stuff they seem to have figured out the best ride for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 241
Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, I wasn't sure if Carli or Icon or Zone or etc had a kit that would work really well. I've been looking at all of their kits but it's hard to tell exactly which one would work best. For example Carli has their 'Commuter 2.0' system. In the description they state "Tighter street feel Driving Characteristics" and I would be afraid that this system may actually make the bouncing worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wellington Nevada
Posts: 8,564
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Icon, Pure Performance..one issue with the rear ride quality is the rear springs. Ford changed the design in '05 and that's when the ride quality issues started. 99-04 B codes would help the ride quality.

We can get you setup with a kit and new rears for your budjet.

PM if I can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Evans, Ga
Posts: 179
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My vote would be for carli with new rear leafs. Their custom valved shocks will take care of any bounce created by the lighter spring rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,831
Thanks: 18
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soledad View Post
I've got a stock 2006 supercab longbed FX4 F350 XLT. I run unloaded about 95% of the time. Any hauling I do will either be yard work, the two ATV's or maybe once a year grabbing a skid loader for my buddy. And it may see light off road/dirt road use when getting to the ATV trails or to my BIL's house. Most of the time though it spends on the highway.

Right now the rear end of the truck bounces so much on the highway (while unloaded) I have a natural vibrato while talking and driving. Plus I have found fat jiggling in places I didn't know I had fat.

Is there any 2.5" or 4" lift out there in a non-wallet killing price (under $3000) that calms down the rear end of this truck significantly without totally destroying the tow/haul weight? I know I'm asking for a lot but one can always hope.

Oh, I should note that I just put new HD Bilstein (yellow/blue's) on it and it did not help at all. I also have Sulastic rubber shackles on it and they really haven't made any difference where I need it most therefore I'll be removing them soon and going back to the stock shackles.


Thanks!!
Hello, I believe I replied to your email this morning but I'll post it here as well.

You are working with the toughest platform of any Ford has made in a long time... The longbed is a nightmare for ride quality, the 350 leaf pack is very stiff, and lastly, the 05-07 trucks have the non symmetrical short leaf pack that refuses to cycle properly.

I know all of the above as I have an 06 f250 undergoing a leaf conversion to the 08+ springs this week. I would honestly tell you that the kit I currently have on my truck (Commuter 2.0) is worth it's weight in gold on the highway. I would highly recommend picking up a commuter 2.0 (only available in 2.5" lift height) and a factory set of F250 springs to swap into your truck. This is what I have had on mine (being prototyped) for the past six weeks and I can honestly say the ride on the road is better than my King 2.5" shocks and night and day better than a stock truck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Soledad View Post
Yeah, I wasn't sure if Carli or Icon or Zone or etc had a kit that would work really well. I've been looking at all of their kits but it's hard to tell exactly which one would work best. For example Carli has their 'Commuter 2.0' system. In the description they state "Tighter street feel Driving Characteristics" and I would be afraid that this system may actually make the bouncing worse.
No sir, the tighter steering feel comes from our adjustable track bar which provides better steering input. The road noise is substantially lessened. The commuter ride awesome on the highway, very plush and controlled with better steering feel.

I will admit, when Sage (Carli) wanted me to take off my 2.5" kings to prototype the 2.0 commuters, I was a doubter as I like the 2.5" ride quality. I cannot believe what they turned out to be. The 2.0" ride better than my 2.5" on the street. I'm excited to see what they do with a full leaf pack replacement as that will be going on later this week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 867
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
Hello, I believe I replied to your email this morning but I'll post it here as well.

You are working with the toughest platform of any Ford has made in a long time... The longbed is a nightmare for ride quality, the 350 leaf pack is very stiff, and lastly, the 05-07 trucks have the non symmetrical short leaf pack that refuses to cycle properly.

I know all of the above as I have an 06 f250 undergoing a leaf conversion to the 08+ springs this week. I would honestly tell you that the kit I currently have on my truck (Commuter 2.0) is worth it's weight in gold on the highway. I would highly recommend picking up a commuter 2.0 (only available in 2.5" lift height) and a factory set of F250 springs to swap into your truck. This is what I have had on mine (being prototyped) for the past six weeks and I can honestly say the ride on the road is better than my King 2.5" shocks and night and day better than a stock truck!




No sir, the tighter steering feel comes from our adjustable track bar which provides better steering input. The road noise is substantially lessened. The commuter ride awesome on the highway, very plush and controlled with better steering feel.

I will admit, when Sage (Carli) wanted me to take off my 2.5" kings to prototype the 2.0 commuters, I was a doubter as I like the 2.5" ride quality. I cannot believe what they turned out to be. The 2.0" ride better than my 2.5" on the street. I'm excited to see what they do with a full leaf pack replacement as that will be going on later this week!

Dammit, forgot you were doing this.... I just ordered a new set of oem c codes for my dually. Might have to try and cancel the order for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,831
Thanks: 18
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
Dammit, forgot you were doing this.... I just ordered a new set of oem c codes for my dually. Might have to try and cancel the order for now
Forgot we were doing the conversion? Yup, this thurday/friday the conversion will be underway. We're going to test the leveling full springs with the commuters, then the 2.5" go back on as this truck is going with me to the 500 the following weekend.

I'll have some feedback on the springs after that trip for sure. The springs should be about the stock height of an f350 when installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 680
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One of the best mods I ever did was put 08+ Carli full leaf pack on the back of my 05.
Dan- you guys decide whether you are going to move factory hangers forward or building new hangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Evans, Ga
Posts: 179
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
One of the best mods I ever did was put 08+ Carli full leaf pack on the back of my 05.
Dan- you guys decide whether you are going to move factory hangers forward or building new hangers?
I would be very interested in what you did. I know pmf makes brackets for this but what did you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors