Custom springs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom springs

I've been researching how to lower my truck & have continuously come up empty. It's a'13 F250 Platinum 4x4. No one offers a lowering kit for this thing. I know that most people lift these trucks, but that's my style & I strive to be different. I've come to the conclusion that my best bet may be to contact a custom spring maker to manufacture shorter coils to accomplish this. I'm looking for a 2"/4" drop. Has anyone else gone this route or know of someone who has? Any suggestions for a custom spring manufacturer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Recently there was a single cab short bed conversion story covered. They used DJM relocators for the forward leaf spring mounts and longer shackles on the other end. I don't know if it would be a direct bolt in for your 2013, but it would be worth sending a shout to DJM for more info.

For the front, I have read suggestions of using 5.4L coil springs to lower it. I'm pretty sure a Scorpion would squash a 5.4 spring a couple of inches.

Keep in mind that if you have to lengthen your track bar for a 2" lift, then you may need a SHORTER track bar when you lower it.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by Karls03; 05-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the info. A spring manufacturer quoted me $268 for the springs up front. Then I could mess with the leafs & blocks in the back. I'm thinking that if I go with shorter springs up that I'll need shorter shocks up front as well? Will this be the case? With removal of the leaf springs how will this effect the ride quality?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Along with removing the blocks, another way to lower the rear is a longer shackle. However, you will need a degree shim to correct the pinion angle when you're done.

Depending on how much you go down, you will need shorter shocks. I don't think 2 inches would hurt the shocks, but you should measure to make sure you don't bottom them out.

Removing a leaf out back would give a softer ride and greatly diminish carrying capacity. It can also cause premature sagging of the remaining springs. Removal of the blocks, a longer shackle and/or relocating the front hanger would be the best way to lower the rear. Prior to relocating either the front or rear of the leaf springs, check your pinion angle, then shim the axle mount pads to maintain that pinion angle.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
National spring in El Cajon, CA make custom leafs and do a damn good job

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM

Just out of curiosity do you have room between the front bump stop and the frame to lower the front end to height you want? Or would you have to do some sort of spindle change to get it lower.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Along with removing the blocks, another way to lower the rear is a longer shackle. However, you will need a degree shim to correct the pinion angle when you're done.

Depending on how much you go down, you will need shorter shocks. I don't think 2 inches would hurt the shocks, but you should measure to make sure you don't bottom them out.

Removing a leaf out back would give a softer ride and greatly diminish carrying capacity. It can also cause premature sagging of the remaining springs. Removal of the blocks, a longer shackle and/or relocating the front hanger would be the best way to lower the rear. Prior to relocating either the front or rear of the leaf springs, check your pinion angle, then shim the axle mount pads to maintain that pinion angle.
Thanks for the info. This will help me greatly in my pursuit. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval6.0 View Post
National spring in El Cajon, CA make custom leafs and do a damn good job

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It's been relatively easy to find custom spring makers, but I've only found one company that does leaf springs. I'll definitely check these guys out. I'd rather get custom leaf springs done to keep my load capacity relatively close to factory instead of removing one or two & greatly diminishing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeephauler View Post
Just out of curiosity do you have room between the front bump stop and the frame to lower the front end to height you want? Or would you have to do some sort of spindle change to get it lower.
From what I've been told a 2" drop up front would put me close to the bump stops. Close enough to maybe even having to cut them down. I was wondering if I could have some custom stops made by a company like Energy Suspensions. Maybe make a shorter bump stop with some good strength to em. If I cut my factory ones I'm sure that will be effected. I'm in research mode right now. I've had the truck for about 3 weeks & the purchase was relatively unexpected. I would've done more research before my purchase if I would've known this as the route I was gonna take. I was initially going to get a F150 Platinum. That truck is easily modified. But after test driving the 250 the 150 couldn't compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.