Locking differentials / limited slip? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Locking differentials / limited slip?

I'm considering replacing my open end rear differential with either a limited slip or locker.

Anyone have recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

I have a 2005 Ford Excursion, 4X4, 6.0L Powerstroke diesel, 6" suspension lift, stock open front and rear differentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Someone should be able to help you.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
detroit tru trac has my vote... Stealth Automotive. Ford 10.25 & 10.5 Detrot Tru Trac
Old 02-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Chrisf97305
if you haul any weight at all then you will want a selectable locker, something you can turn on or off, or you can kiss your axels good buy. running empty all the time then a locker will work fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Selectable locker or true-trac. There is almost no reason to go with a locker in our trucks... imo.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

For a selectable locker, what do you all recommend? ARB, etc?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
ARB air loccker or an Eaton E locker
Old 02-20-2008, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
OX locker is in my opinion the best option for selectable lockers. mainly because even if you pull the cable off of it durring your offroading adventures then you can still get under there and manually lock it up to get yourself out and home.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Diesel Mechanic Poser

Here is my 2c:
The ARB and the OX – debatably the 2 most reliable manual lockers, when engaged, will act as if you are operating with a spool-type diff. This will effectively ‘weld’ your axels together and each wheel will rotate at exactly the same speed when accelerating, decelerating, and turning. That feature is great and predictable off-road but is highly stressful on the axels while on the street and not going perfectly straight (ie. drag racing). But don’t forget that they don’t do anything until you make them – man in the loop to operate - and they are more complex; increasing vulnerability to malfunction or failure. I guess it could be kind-of cool chirping the tire turning into your parking space when you go to the mall, too. The ones below are automatic.

The Tru Trac essentially uses friction via mechanical advantage from several worm gears in the unit to lock the axels under load. There are no ‘clutches’ in this one. I frankly don’t know quite as much about the Tru Trac, but presumably it doesn’t lock on the decel due to the cut on the worm gears and the mechanical configuration. Someone please back me up on this. The beauty of this one, too, is that it will permit outside wheel to travel faster than the inside wheel when turning in a coast or neutral power condition just like an open diff. A weak link has been cited on some other drag racing forums about the bolts that secure the worm gears and it is recommended that they be upgraded to an alloy steel ARP bolt for improved reliability. I could imagine that towing could induce the same stresses as experienced on the strip. This is my second choice, with ARP bolts, of course.

The Detroit Locker uses teeth to lock the axels while under load – either accelerating or decelerating but releases when ‘coasting’ through a turn or while in a neutral power condition (neither accelerating nor decelerating) and temporarily acts like an open diff. There is an apparent clack when the teeth engage and disengage. I have only read in a magazine where someone knew this guy who’s buddy’s sister’s boyfriend fragged his Jeep’s Detroit Locker climbing this rock hill, etc, etc. The violent loading and unloading of some crawling could strain it enough to break but most likely the axel will pop first. My point is that this unit has been the common standard by which to measure locker durability and performance for decades. The long wheelbase of the Excursion will help tame the locking and unlocking that causes some of those lifted CJs out there to do emergency lane changes in the corners. This is my first choice for a diff upgrade for my 05 Excursion.

Generally speaking, I prefer the low tech and KISS philosophy.
Comments expected and welcomed. (And need some back up on the Tru Trac)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberg View Post
Here is my 2c:
The ARB and the OX – debatably the 2 most reliable manual lockers, when engaged, will act as if you are operating with a spool-type diff. This will effectively ‘weld’ your axels together and each wheel will rotate at exactly the same speed when accelerating, decelerating, and turning. That feature is great and predictable off-road but is highly stressful on the axels while on the street and not going perfectly straight (ie. drag racing). But don’t forget that they don’t do anything until you make them – man in the loop to operate - and they are more complex; increasing vulnerability to malfunction or failure. I guess it could be kind-of cool chirping the tire turning into your parking space when you go to the mall, too. The ones below are automatic.

The Tru Trac essentially uses friction via mechanical advantage from several worm gears in the unit to lock the axels under load. There are no ‘clutches’ in this one. I frankly don’t know quite as much about the Tru Trac, but presumably it doesn’t lock on the decel due to the cut on the worm gears and the mechanical configuration. Someone please back me up on this. The beauty of this one, too, is that it will permit outside wheel to travel faster than the inside wheel when turning in a coast or neutral power condition just like an open diff. A weak link has been cited on some other drag racing forums about the bolts that secure the worm gears and it is recommended that they be upgraded to an alloy steel ARP bolt for improved reliability. I could imagine that towing could induce the same stresses as experienced on the strip. This is my second choice, with ARP bolts, of course.

The Detroit Locker uses teeth to lock the axels while under load – either accelerating or decelerating but releases when ‘coasting’ through a turn or while in a neutral power condition (neither accelerating nor decelerating) and temporarily acts like an open diff. There is an apparent clack when the teeth engage and disengage. I have only read in a magazine where someone knew this guy who’s buddy’s sister’s boyfriend fragged his Jeep’s Detroit Locker climbing this rock hill, etc, etc. The violent loading and unloading of some crawling could strain it enough to break but most likely the axel will pop first. My point is that this unit has been the common standard by which to measure locker durability and performance for decades. The long wheelbase of the Excursion will help tame the locking and unlocking that causes some of those lifted CJs out there to do emergency lane changes in the corners. This is my first choice for a diff upgrade for my 05 Excursion.

Generally speaking, I prefer the low tech and KISS philosophy.
Comments expected and welcomed. (And need some back up on the Tru Trac)

This is good info for you, or anyone. I would like to add that I too believe in keeping it simple. I have a true trac and a detroit locker in my jeep the true trac is in the front and the locker is in the rear. I logged about 100,000 on the road miles with this setup and have not noticed any on road behavior that is irratic. The only thing you need to pay attention to is if you are gonna jump on the throttle during a turn the rig will want to push. Thats it. good luck and happy shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.