Yet another 4 vs 6 inch debate. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another 4 vs 6 inch debate.

To start off I am new here but not new to forums. I have done a bunch of searches but still have some unanswered questions. I am between a 4 and 6 inch lift. I do a lot of highway driving and do not go off road too often. If I go with the 4 I will get 35 inch Toyo A/T 2's and if I go 6 I will go 37 inch and I am not sure what tire to get at that point since the A/T 2's don't come in 37 inch.

Here are my concerns; I have a 2013 Lariat that rides like a Cadillac and I don't want to ruin that, secondly, I don't want to get a 4 inch lift and then kick myself for not going taller.

Will I lose my ride quality going to a 6 inch with M/T tires? Will I kick myself in the *** for ruining my $60K truck's ride when me and the family take a road trip? Should I just try to be ok with the less than tall 4 inch lift?

One more thing that I think might be informative for anyone reading this. I do not live in an area with a lot of new lifted trucks so I have never seen, in person, or been able to ride in a newer F250 that has a 4 or 6 inch lift on it.

Thank you for reading all of my ranting and for any help you might offer.
-Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

to keep the ride and clear 37" tires I would look at an Icon 4.5" or the Carli 4.5" those are going to be the best riding kits out there right now. with the right wheels specs you can clear 37's at that hight. If you want something a little higher Icon makes a 7" kit as well. I know that both the Icon kits ride better then factory, and the 7" kit rides better then the 4.5" kit I had, and both were better then factory. so you cant go wrong with ether.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So even though I would be going to 37's and M/T's you think the 6 inch would still be just as good of a ride? I don't really care what size tire I end up with but I just think that a 6 inch lift looks funny with a 35 inch tire. That is the only reason why I would go with a larger tire on the 6 inch.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMKeith View Post
So even though I would be going to 37's and M/T's you think the 6 inch would still be just as good of a ride? I don't really care what size tire I end up with but I just think that a 6 inch lift looks funny with a 35 inch tire. That is the only reason why I would go with a larger tire on the 6 inch.
it does, 35's should go with a 4" and 37's with a 6"
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You can clear 35" stock and 37" with a level kit..higher is just for looks...

I can Email you pictures if you like and prices on Icon and Pure performance kits.

The best ride quality will be from changing to a 4 link kit.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
To start off I am new here but not new to forums. I have done a bunch of searches but still have some unanswered questions. I am between a 4 and 6 inch lift. I do a lot of highway driving and do not go off road too often. If I go with the 4 I will get 35 inch Toyo A/T 2's and if I go 6 I will go 37 inch and I am not sure what tire to get at that point since the A/T 2's don't come in 37 inch.

Here are my concerns; I have a 2013 Lariat that rides like a Cadillac and I don't want to ruin that, secondly, I don't want to get a 4 inch lift and then kick myself for not going taller.

Will I lose my ride quality going to a 6 inch with M/T tires? Will I kick myself in the *** for ruining my $60K truck's ride when me and the family take a road trip? Should I just try to be ok with the less than tall 4 inch lift?

One more thing that I think might be informative for anyone reading this. I do not live in an area with a lot of new lifted trucks so I have never seen, in person, or been able to ride in a newer F250 that has a 4 or 6 inch lift on it.

-Keith
Hi Keith,

All of your goals could be accomplished with either lift. Lift height isn't what drives ride quality, R&D is. Some companies use 4-Links, others use shock tuning. If your goal is the best handling, get a custom tuned shock with a lower lift and the largest tire you can fit. In our systems, I would tell you the 4.5" back country or Pintop 2.5 and pair that with a 37" tire. This will net you better handling that a 6" given our lower center of gravity and the same ground clearance. Further, the custom tuned shocks and progressive coils/add-a-packs will substantially help your ride quality.

As stated above, both mentioned (ICON and Carli) are leaders in the suspension market for the HD trucks and you're getting a great product. There is a lot of info that can be found on these boards as many people run our and ICON's systems with great luck. If you have any further questions on application or ride quality, feel free to post in here (i'll follow the thread) or PM me and I'd be happy to walk you through our offerings.

Good luck with your build!
Dan
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Also keep in mind that you lose some tow capacity when running a lift with new springs, so you might want bags too.
I personally say go with either the 2.5 or 4.5 kits with 37s.
Many have been extremely happy with the carli and icon systems, but they'll cost you
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

-Keith
Like others have already pointed out you don't need a big lift on the 08+ trucks to run 35's or 37's. I would say to go with a 2.5" kit for 35's and a 4.5" kit for 37's. If you think that you truck rides good in stock form you should see how god it can ride with a quality performance suspension.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you everyone! I am going with a Fabtech 6 inch lift with 37 inch toyo M/T. I would love to go with an Icon or Carli lift but those are just a little out of my price range at this point. However, I did upgrade to some Bilstein struts to try and improve the ride.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
IMO...big mistake using MT's...they suck in the wet..I ran them and they will break loose in a light ran just pasing someone on the hyway..plus noisy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.