6" Superlift questions/suspension questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 PM
KCCO!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6" Superlift questions/suspension questions?

I just recently completed a head stud/gasket install and I am tackling my next project. SUSPENSION. I know I have a 6" Superlift lift kit...I can wrench but I know hardly anything about suspension kits. My set up is 37X13.5R20 and as stated, I have a 6" lift. I'm looking to replace the shocks (don't even know what kind are on there, no labels or anything), steering dampers/stabilizers (sound right?). I want to get the suspension right before I purchase new tires. Any suggestions or what to replace and or what to look for? Any help is appreciated and any comments are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kells17 View Post
I just recently completed a head stud/gasket install and I am tackling my next project. SUSPENSION. I know I have a 6" Superlift lift kit...I can wrench but I know hardly anything about suspension kits. My set up is 37X13.5R20 and as stated, I have a 6" lift. I'm looking to replace the shocks (don't even know what kind are on there, no labels or anything), steering dampers/stabilizers (sound right?). I want to get the suspension right before I purchase new tires. Any suggestions or what to replace and or what to look for? Any help is appreciated and any comments are welcomed.
If you can do a head/gasket job you can surely do some suspension work. Most of it is fairly simple and straightforward, its just a matter of understanding it all and how it all works together.

As for the shocks and steering stabilizers most guys choose to go with Bilstein 5100s. For your everyday lift and everyday driving and even some moderate off road use this shock will suit you just fine. I will also almost guarantee you that the 5100 will ride and perform better than whatever no-name shocks your running. You can even get the Bilsteain 5100s for your steering stabilizers! Your best bet is going to be Top Gun Customz. Give them a call and tell them you want some shocks for your truck. You will probably talk with Derek, he is very nice and will get you the right parts. Remember to mention the ORG and you will get a 5% discount!!

Now as far as the rest of the suspension goes before you get new tires and to make sure your truck can be perfectly aligned there are a few things you will want to check. Tie rod ends, steering drag link and end, pitman arm, and ball joints. Start by jacking up the front of the truck and supporting it with jack stands. Once both wheels are up off the ground start with one side and put your hands on the wheel at 9 and 3. Shake the wheel left and right and check for any play or movement in the lower tie rod end and upper drag link end. If you see any play they should be replaced. Also when shaking the wheel back and forth look at the end of the drag link by the pitman arm, check for any play there and in the pitman arm itself. Now go over the the drivers side and do the same thing, at 3 and 9 shake the wheel left and right and check the tie rod end. This is the only thing you will need to check on the drivers side.

Next is ball joints. Still with the truck jacked up put your hands at 12 and 6 and shake the wheel in and out. Try to push the top of the wheel in and pulling the bottom of the wheel towards yourself. If you see any play and the wheel wobbles up and down you will need new ball joints, uppers and lowers if your going to do them you might as well do both because its A LOT of labor. Check both driver and passenger side for any wobble.

How many miles are on your truck? My truck just rolled over 100K and I am in the process of replacing just about everything. Both lower tie rod ends, drag link and drag link end, pitman arm, and ball joints, and some new stabilizers. Their is a lot of movement in the front ends of these truck and a lot of parts that like to go bad, especially if you have a lift and big tires, it puts a lot of stress on all the components.

If you need a diagram of where all these parts are and what they look like and where they are I can take some pictures in the morning and post them to give you a little guide. I can also help you out with getting parts, always use high quality stuff when it comes to suspension, I say either Moog or Motorcraft, their are some others but they seem a little overpriced for my taste.

Last edited by mazsecond; 04-19-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM
KCCO!!

Thanks for the quick reply! I will line up getting her jacked up mid next week. Please do post pics, it will help tremendously! She's sitting at 134k and I'm still working out kinks and trying to figure out what the previous owner did. Again, great feedback! I know most of the "boots" look like they've blown out, not sure which is what.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells17 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I will line up getting her jacked up mid next week. Please do post pics, it will help tremendously! She's sitting at 134k and I'm still working out kinks and trying to figure out what the previous owner did. Again, great feedback! I know most of the "boots" look like they've blown out, not sure which is what.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow and explain all the parts to you. From the sound of things your probably going to need quite a bit of work under there. Parts wise everything isn't too expensive its just the labor and if you tackle it all yourself you will save yourself A LOT of money. Glad I could help.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:22 AM

I hope you can understand all the arrows

Your truck will look slightly different because its an 04 with the leaf sprung front end but all the parts are essentially the same and in the same locations and do the same things. Just get the truck up in the air and check every single joint where parts meet. Shake the wheels up down left right side to side in and out etc. to check for play anywhere! If you need help with getting parts or have any other questions please let me know.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Like a boss!

Very good post. Will deffinatly be using this information. What are a few of the most liked sites for aftermarket suspension parts?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laferty View Post
Very good post. Will deffinatly be using this information. What are a few of the most liked sites for aftermarket suspension parts?
I would stick with either the Motorcraft stuff or Moog. If you go with the cheap chinease eBay junk you will be doing it all again in a year. If you decide to go with Motorcraft parts buy them from Tousley Ford Parts Depot. They have on average 30% off all OEM parts. For instance the parts counter at the dealer will charge you about $310. From Tousley all the same parts will cost about $202. Even though you might have to pay $20 for shipping you still save $80 on OEM Motorcraft parts. The same applies to ANY Ford part you can think of.

If you choose to go Moog, which is also very good I would look on rockauto.com. They have a very easy to use menu that will lead you to the right parts and they have pretty good pricing on all their parts. When looking on rock auto you will see different quality levels of the same part listed. Stay away from all the cheap stuff at the top. Scroll down a little and look at the Moog, I believe they also offer ACDelco and Raybestos too but I'm not to sure on how well those brands tend to hold up. Just remember that whatever is on your truck lasted you that long, my OEM stuff lasted 100K so it must be pretty dam good.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM
KCCO!!

Much appreciated and thanks for the pics. Definitely the kind of information and advice that I was looking for. Hopefully I can get her in the air on this coming week and get everything lined out to be replaced. Will hit you again if there are any questions and if I'm unsure, I will post pics and get advice too. Again, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.