Steering wheel play - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering wheel play

I took my truck in to get it aligned and after i got it back there is some play play in the steering wheel. Today i drove 200 miles to panama city and its a bi*** to drive, im sure the people behind me think im drunk or something. The truck has 85,000 miles on it so i know the steering box isnt worn out. The steering on the truck was fairly tight before they did the aligmnent. Does anymone has any idea what would cause this play in the steering or if i can fix it with out taking it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM

if you take the airfilter out and the plastic on the left hand battery you can see the top of the steering gearbox, there is a bolt with an allen key on top and a nut around that. If you've ever adjusted the clutch cable on a motorcycle its the same principal. loosen the nut tighten the allen key and lock it down with the nut. I had almost a quarter turn of the steering wheel of play. I tightened that and it solved most of it. I could tighten it more just haven't bothered with it. You know you've gone too far if the steering wont straighten itself when you go around a corner, just back it off some.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Why did you have it aligned? New parts, lift kit, new tires, or just to make sure it was correct. This will help narrow down the cause.

I would first get someone to help by turning your steering wheel back and forth while you watch all the joints in the steering system from the pitman arm to the tie rod ends. You will be able to see fairly easy if there is any excessive play in any of the joints.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Great, thank you aeby07 i really appreciate it. Its been pooring here all day so tomorrow i will work on it, i appreciate the fast response.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Well i bought some Toyo open country m/t and had them do an alignment at the same time. After i got the truck back it traveled all over the road. i thought it was the tires because they were wider than the rim so i sold them and put the stock tire back on. It still has alot of play in it and i dont know why. Before i took it in it was tight and steered great.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM

No problem let me know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.