Front end bounces while turning. only in 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Front end bounces while turning. only in 4x4

Hello everybody, new to the forum. I'll start by describing my truck, It's a 2005 F250 Superduty Crewcab short box. 6.0,Torqueshift 4x4. Truck has a 6" Procomp lift and 37x13.50's.

Okay, now to my problem. I know that when i turn the wheel to full lock and the truck is on an incline my tires rub (no big surprise there). when just cruising in 2wd on flat ground I have no problems. I can turn my wheels to full lock with no wobble, no rubbing. There is a popping noise that happens occasionally (I'm sure it probably needs tie rods and sway bar bushings). When I have my truck in 4wd, however, anytime the wheel is turned the entire front end bounces and wobbles. Even at low speed, when i start to turn the wheel i can feel it shimmy the whole truck back and forth. If i'm moving at any decent speed (powering through a mudhole) it wobbles, bounces, and makes a terrible squeaking noise like it's trying to pull the entire front end apart (Very similar to the infamous "Death Wobble", except it happens only if the wheels are turned and is directly related to speed). I've crawled under the truck and everything is nice and tight. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this is probably a terrible description of what's happening so I'm including links to some youtube videos so you guys can see exactly what's happening;

Powerstroke playing in the mud - YouTube

Stuck Powerstroke - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

I couldn't see much, phone screen too small, but it sounds pretty normal. Turning in 4 wheel can kick the steering wheel, the more traction and power, the more it kicks. Put that dude into 4HI and try turning in a parking lot, it will rip the wheel out of your hand.

The second thing is that 05 and up hop the front axle pretty easily under load. I watched one chatter so hard in a truck pull that I thought something was coming off.

I wouldn't sweat it. Be careful how you turn out wheelin, but don't lose any sleep over it.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM

the squeaking noise could be the wheel u joints. All the mud and dirt Will shorten the life of them for sure.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Was that squeaking or turbo fart? I couldn't tell on my phone.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Umm FYI,
You should NEVER drive your truck in 4wd on dry pavement. If you do don't turn or you run the risk of breaking your transfer case chain or even worse break your transfer case housing.

Also most American made trucks differentials have a difference in gear ratio between front and rear .01 or .02 which can cause stress even in a straight line but a lot less than turning your truck on dry pavement in 4wd.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have some sort of locker in the front diff?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

A locker or limited slip differential will make this situation worse. Turning with a limited slip or locked front end is challenging.

Turning while idling in a p-lot wasn't meant as recommendation for daily driving. Although boosted 4HI launches at the drag strip makes for killer 60 foot times.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.