Carli questions..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carli questions.....

I have been really thinking hard this past week about which lift I want. I'm pretty dead set on a Carli 4.5" system. Probably the backcountry or performance. I use my truck alot for work, play and travel. So I think the height and ride performance will be right on. So here's my questions:

-Is the ride quality of Carli really that much better that it's worth double the price of most other kits? From what I've read, I'm thinking so, but maybe some others have used other kits that ride really good that are cheaper?

-Seems like everyone is using 37's instead of 35's? Is there a reason for that? I think I'd rather use the 35's just for fuel mileage and I figured 35's would balance out better for a smoother ride?

-If I use 35's I assume I can use a 10" wide wheel instead of 9" with no rub issues? I want to use 20x10's and 35" tires. Any suggestions on B.S.?

-Best riding tire that can still get wet traction? Trail grapplers?

THanks so much. Really pumped on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM

I cannot help because I have an 03, but I am curious what others say.
I do know Carli puts more into their systems along with research, testing, etc compared to the cheaper systems out there. Carli also custom valves the shocks used specifically for our trucks. Other companies just use standard parts that are more universal.

Icon is another good option, but I think you will find their products priced similarly to Carli.

I'm sure you will also get people saying you get what you pay for, etc. I have been thinking about a set of their leafs and maybe some shocks for my truck. Currently exploring my options. Best of luck, I'm sure you will be very happy with a carli kit
Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Carli is worth every penny. Icon has a $5000 4.5" lift too.

On wheels you just need to keep less backspace then the stock 8" wide +40 offset wheels.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM

I think that Carli is well worth the money and piece of mind. In this era of manufactures making crap Carli is a breath of fresh air. During the last couple of decades i have had Pro-Comp, Fab-Tech, Sky Jacker, Rough Country and a few more that i have thankfully forgotten, some of the above mentioned i have broken hard parts and almost all rode bad to fair.

I have the starter system and on the street the ride is about 25% better and off road i would say it`s about twice as good compared to stock, i can hardly wait to upgrade to the Carli King shocks to make it even better.

I just mounted my 37" Toyo MT`s last week and these have improved the ride even more.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 AM

My truck is on the lift as I type this... I went with the Carli Pintop 4.5 with full rear springs... I'm not sure when your planning on doing this but I can surely let you know how it is late next week when I can put a few miles on it....
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scummins View Post
I have been really thinking hard this past week about which lift I want. I'm pretty dead set on a Carli 4.5" system. Probably the backcountry or performance. I use my truck alot for work, play and travel. So I think the height and ride performance will be right on. So here's my questions:

-Is the ride quality of Carli really that much better that it's worth double the price of most other kits? From what I've read, I'm thinking so, but maybe some others have used other kits that ride really good that are cheaper?

Yes- It is hard to make a comarison of the 4.5" Carli kits to others as they use alot of items that others don't like brakelines and mini packs. The key to a great ride and improved performance is spring rates, shock valving, and wheel/tire combo. Carli has these nailed.

-Seems like everyone is using 37's instead of 35's? Is there a reason for that? I think I'd rather use the 35's just for fuel mileage and I figured 35's would balance out better for a smoother ride?

35's actually look a bit small with 4.5" of lift on these newer trucks plus the bigger tires ride better due to more sidewall and increased air volume.

-If I use 35's I assume I can use a 10" wide wheel instead of 9" with no rub issues? I want to use 20x10's and 35" tires. Any suggestions on B.S.?

If you stuck with 35's you could run 10" wide wheels with a backspace around 5". Keep in mind that 35's on 20's aren't going to ride nearly as good as 37's on 17's or 18's.

-Best riding tire that can still get wet traction? Trail grapplers?

The seem to be pretty good in the rain although I have found that the 35x12.5x20 Trail Grappler is one of the stiffest tires on the market. They also tend to develop a left pull that can be a PITA to correct. I would personally suggest either Toyo M/T's or the new Toyo ATII's.

THanks so much. Really pumped on this.
I answered your questions above in red.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM

Why does carli not make much for the 99-04's? Too bad they do not make front leafs for us or possibly a bolt on coilover kit. I guess most people get the newer axles for the older trucks. That's a bit harder when you own a dually, I think. Plus the costs involed for the conversion
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
Why does carli not make much for the 99-04's? Too bad they do not make front leafs for us or possibly a bolt on coilover kit. I guess most people get the newer axles for the older trucks. That's a bit harder when you own a dually, I think. Plus the costs involed for the conversion

Carli Suspension is big into the Dodge HD truks, they've been using a coil sprung front end since the 90's. When Ford did away with front leafs and went to coil springs, Carli had already had a lot of RnD with this type of suspension, so it was natural to start with the 05' and up SD for suspension development. I've heard they have helped out some leaf-sprung guys, give them a call.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
They don't advertise it but they do have a system that uses Deavers front and rear with King 2.5's all around. The leafs and shocks are special order so the lead time is around 6-8 weeks. Give Dan at Carli a shout and he should have more info.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay Fellas, I plan on buying a Carli Lift, but have a few questions on the site.

Why, if the add a packs are the same, why the following:

#1 2.5 Leveling Systems

Pintop - 2.5" rear
Commuter - 1.5" rear
Starter - 2.5" rear

Why the difference if the add a pack is used on all?

#2 4.5" Lift Systems

Rear is only 2.5" on all systems.
Is the only difference from the 2.5" systems the amount of lift on the front end as well as the front end components?

#3 So all systems are 2.5" of rear lift across the board (Except for the commuter - unless this is a typo).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.