Front End Making Noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front End Making Noise

I haven't pulled the tire off yet cuz it's really wet outside, so I figured I'd see what y'all thought first. The other day pullin in the driveway, I was at full-lock to the left and hit the brakes. Had a really nice grinding noise as I came to a stop. I can feel something up front popping when I turn sometimes. It only pops when changing directions and only pops once. I also noticed that it is starting to pull to the left a bit when I hit the brakes...which it wasn't doing before.

Any ideas? Does it sound like a hub bearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It could easily be the hub bearing with the grinding noise. You don't need to pull off the tire to diagnose the problem, you do need to jack up that side of the truck and then take your hands one on top and one on the bottom and shake the tire up and down. You will probably need to have someone do this with you checking suspension parts and seeing wich one moves. Minimal play is likely but you need to keep and eye on the hub itself and see if it moves if it does it needs replaced.

Last edited by silverF250; 01-27-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When your driving and it is pulling left get out and check the wheel and it will probably be extremely hot. Mine did this and I burnt my hand touching the wheel. Which means the hub-bearing isn't spinning properly and has the brakes dragging. Think back a couple of days did you notice a slight squeel from the drivers side when you turned the wheel.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverF250 View Post
When your driving and it is pulling left get out and check the wheel and it will probably be extremely hot. Mine did this and I burnt my hand touching the wheel. Which means the hub-bearing isn't spinning properly and has the brakes dragging. Think back a couple of days did you notice a slight squeel from the drivers side when you turned the wheel.

Every now and then I get a high pitched squeel at one intersection I drive through. The road is going down hill, but when I turn to the left to get off the road, it switches to uphill and if I hit it too fast and turn I get the squeel. If I'm on the brakes through the turn it will usually squeel, if I'm not on the brakes, it won't usually squeel.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fords4life View Post
Every now and then I get a high pitched squeel at one intersection I drive through. If I'm on the brakes through the turn it will usually squeel, if I'm not on the brakes, it won't usually squeel.
1: Avoid that intersection

2: You shouldn't be on the brakes through a turn

3: Wheel bearings/hubs.....for almost sure.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spburns View Post
1: Avoid that intersection

2: You shouldn't be on the brakes through a turn

3: Wheel bearings/hubs.....for almost sure.
1: Unless I go 10 miles outta the way...no can do...

2: Try not too anyway, but in Cali, sometimes you have to...when people are on your *** sometimes you just don't have a choice.

3: Kinda what I'm thinking. I am going to get the front end up in the air and take the wheels off so i can play with them a little more and see if they have any play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.