Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Upgrading 4" BDS for Heavy Hauling

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  897.3alltheway! 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! You can see what we're working with here in my sig. I'm looking into big 5th wheel Toy Hauler's and want to take my suspension to the next level before I pick one up. I'm not here to debate trailer weights etc, just the suspension upgrade, so please don't ask "how heavy". Because the answer is just "really heavy".

So the truck as it sits needs at LEAST the following:

Front: Control arm bushings , Track Bar Bushings , Shocks , Steering Stabilizer.

Rear: Shocks , U-Bolts

My "Heavy Haul" Plan:

Front: BDS 4-Link Upgrade ; Shocks ; Steering Stabilizer ; Track Bar Bushings

Rear: (currently has sway bar) Pro-Comp track-bars ; Hellwig Load Pro 35 Helper Springs ; Shocks ; U-Bolts

Additional thoughts: Dual Stabilizer? Front Track bar upgrade? Alternative Companies for Rear Track-bars/DIY??

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Remember, play nice and leave my GVWR ALONE!! I live in the mountains, riding a bicycle down the hill is dangerous for myself and others...I've read the debates...keep it suspension/heavy towing oriented...

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not to educated on a lot of lift and suspension stuff, so I may not be much help. Just a question for you though... how much affect does the wind have on your rig as it sits now? I know that the winds in our state can be pretty harsh, especially driving through the mountain passes. I'm curious as to how bad it would be while pulling a heavy trailer at the same time. I am sure some of the parts that you are looking at might help that some, just not sure how much.:dunno:

I think I will stick around here to learn a little something new myself.:thumb:

#4 ·
OMG :pullhair: I have posted this 3 times....hope this one works...note to self...edit...copy...paste... :doh:

Any experiences with any of these parts? I can replace the factory radius arms and track bar bushing and ball joint for HALF of a 4 link. As mentioned elsewhere, stopping is more important and I'm not competing. So I could take that extra $$ and keep it up front, but in the form of Cryo rotors and Hawk pads? (napa the rear brakes?)

I'm not trying to be a cheap-O just trying to bang for the buck. Might even put the 5th on hold for a year and get the truck right.

"What's that sweety pie? You want a Tru-trac for your birthday? In MY truck?! You're so sweet to me!"

#6 ·
Thanks 897. Maxed out trailer weight. Bluring the lines with "should this be a dually". Note the 3500lb helper springs.

As I'm looking at all this suspension stuff, and notice your signature would you please share your synopsis of reservoir and bypass shocks?

#7 ·
He certainly wouldn't like my truck then. But than again I am running reservoir shocks and bypasses. LOL.

I would leave your BDS springs, swap in the One Up Offroad ALA link arms up front. The ALA's are offset so you have an increased turning radius over stock, tougher joints that will tighten up your steering, adjustable for multiple lift heights, and plenty of adjustments for caster on the front axle. Then throw on a set of OUO traction bars on the rear. You can incorporate a set of airbags as well to help with the towing.

#8 ·
Thanks Layson. I've been looking at the OUO stuff. It looks like it's quality stuff.

What about the Track bar up front. (some might call it a panhard?) Think the BDS drop mount, and a new ball joint and bushing would cut it?

I've been looking at front reservoir shocks at least. I have a rough driveway thats about 3 miles long. Couple of "speedbump-type" mounds that I have to slow down for, or I can feel the front end bottom. To me this translates into elevated shock temps either before/after the daily drive. I would think a reservoir would act in a similar capacity to a larger diff cover, oil pan, etc. More volume of fluid = more capacity for heat dissipation?

But...I'm just wannabe trailer trash so what do I know?

#9 ·
What exactly do you have up front now? Do you have any death wobble now or bumpsteer?

As far as the front reservoir shocks I think they are worth it. Every set of shocks that I have had with reservoirs had a nicer ride. I think it is a worthy upgrade for the front end.

#10 ·
My steering stabilizer is more of an ornamental piece than a functional item.

No bump steer but pretty sloppy when on the straight and narrow. Lots of small steering inputs so I'm not swerving about.

No brake noise at any speed, but if I get hard on the brakes say from 50-60mph the front end will shake a scary amount. Jerking the wheel during a shake will NOT resolve it, as it used to on a buddy's older 350. So not sure if it's rotors, but both sets of tires produce the same effect.

Maybe the radius arms are fine and it's a combo track bar stabilizer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.