Lowered 2005 F250 4X4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowered 2005 F250 4X4?

Has anyone lowered a 2005-2007 F250 4X4? I would like to lower the Front of the truck 4" or so and then level the rear of the truck to match with a longer shackle setup that I will build, and by removing the 4" block between the leafs and axle.

The front is not so easy. The axle is roughly 8" away from the frame, so that will only give me 4" of travel, most of which will be through the bump-stops. The easiest way to do this would be to cut the springs. The best way to do this would be to a STIFFER, but shorter spring and a shock to match. Does anyone produce such a kit?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I tow quite often, but only 8000lbs max. The truck sags only 1" with the trailer loaded, so I'm not overly concerned with ruining the workhorse nature of the truck, at least for my use. I have never and probably will never "offroad" the truck, so this is not a concern either.

I would like to keep the stock suspension setup on the shelf should I ever need to return to factory ride height.

Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
why would you buy a 4X4 then lower it?? should have bought a 2 wheel drive since it just seems to me to be a waste of the 4 wheel drive system.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

traction, traction, and oh ya, traction. I can't hook up until 50mph with my truck in 2wd with the tune that I normally run. That doesn't do anyone any good

Plus, we get snow daily six months out of the year and 4X4 is needed to get up hills, pull the trailer out of the snow bank, etc.

Please don't lecture me on this topic, I tend to think outside the box and it generally rewards me. I don't want to body-drop the thing, just want to drop it down a little bit.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
not trying to lecture bud, i just wanted to know why you would lower a 4X4. seems to me you have good reasons to want to do this. let us know how it works out.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just re-read my response and that sounded harsh! I appologize, it wasn't meant to sound that way!

Anyway, yes, I want to build something of a do-it-all and do-it fast street truck. Right now this thing accelerates 0-40mph faster than my 800whp NSX because there are 4 wheels scrabbling at the pavement at all times. Coming from the Import side of the equation, lower has always appealed to me.

Plus the small benefits of possible fuel mileage increases(probably very small). Plus the wife will be happier which means I get to see her in more skirts!

Maybe I'll call up DJM and see what they recommend.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

no offense taken bud!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you have the right idea. The back is easy to lower but like you said a shorter spring in the front is about the only way to lower the front. Unless you want to get complicated and run an onboard air system, then you could use airbags to replace the springs in the front. That way you could ride at whatever height you want and if you need to you could lift the front up all the way back to stock height.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had thought about that, but it does sound rather pricey. I can build anything out of metal and that will save $. If I went and cut the stock springs(I wont!), I could do this for less than $30.00 in materials.

What do the 2WD trucks use for front springs? The weight that they have to handle in the front of the truck SHOULD be similar to what the 4WD trucks would handle. Perhaps a simple factory-parts swap? This way nothing would be "hacked". Thoughts or any information?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My drop kit uses all of the stock springs, front and rear. The front utilizes a drop spindle, while the rear uses dropped shackles and hangers. I can still tow the same with the stock soft ride.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You're 2WD aren't you? That makes it easy because there isn't 12" worth of axle to try and clearance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.