hub bearing assembly, one or both? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hub bearing assembly, one or both?

After noticing a little uneven wear on my 6 month old tires I brought my '05 f350 dually in for an alignment; there's 180,000 miles on it. The day started with an estimated $55 charge, by the afternoon it had turned into $1944.98. Turns out I need upper and lower ball joints, U joints, and axle seals on both sides and I need a left hub bearing assembly. Is it worth doing the other hub bearing assembly while I'm in there? And what's the deal with the hub assembly prices; they range from 149-649 with Moog in the middle range? Thinking of going moog for everything.

Also, on the estimate it lists axle seals (plural); is there an inner and outer? Will replacing these seals potentially fix my non-working auto locking hubs?

Last edited by Colander; 03-08-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the non working auto hubs could be a bad knuckle seal or a broken vacuum line coming off the knuckle. And in the estimate there should be 4 seals 2 knuckle seals (may be called axle seals) and 2 dust seals. I would definately go with atleast moog ball joints and a good hub bearing. I had one go bad, replaced it with a precision hub decent about $290. 2 years later the precision is bad again and the other side stock is still fine. It is covered under warranty but most shops only warranty their labor for a year. So if your not doing the work yourself I would go with a stock hub bearing. I would also have them check the track bar bushings those go out fairly often and most shops suspension shakedown will not note that because the truck has to be on the ground to check it.

Last edited by PowerstrokeAaron; 03-08-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

For all that is wrong. If u want to spend the money. Call Trevor at PMF. He is releasing a 05-07 free spin hub kit that is priced reasonable well and will come with alot of the parts u need and u will never have to replace a hub bearing again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.