OBS D60 in Superduty. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS D60 in Superduty.

Basically just as the title says.

I have an early 99 f250, running on 37" tires. I need to regear, likely a 4.30. I don't want to spend the money on the d50.

I know it's bolt in for a Superduty d60. What I'm curious is what about an OBS d60? I know the bolt pattern is different but what other reasons are there not to do this?

It's hard to find an axle for less than a grand around here from a 99+. Yet easy to find f350's with balljoint d60's for less than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

The nickle and dime end of it is this, 4 new wheels (because you are going to want to rotate your tires), that is going to necessitate new shafts and brakes on the rear axle, and will the OBS steering linkage bolt up to the cross over that is in your '99?

If you have auto hubs, you won't anymore. I believe those OBS D60s were all manual hub.

In the end, unless you're ok with 2 different sets of wheels that you can't rotate, you're going to spend more nickle and diming that OBS D60 under your truck than buying a '99 and up D60.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Actually, you can swap the knuckle from your solid D50 to a D60 so you could keep the same wheels. Then you could sell the OBS knuckles for ~$500. Your big issue is the perch width on the axle being different. IIRC the SD axle has the perches further out than a OBS.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Perch width I think would be simple enough to deal with. As long as there is space.

Now I need to go find out, I'm almost betting the OBS axel is narrower than the SD one. And that just won't do.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Re: OBS D60 in Superduty.

I just did some checking with my Ford guru, a ball joint D60 from an OBS will be a direct bolt in to a 99 and up.

Also, as previously mentioned, the steering knuckles are interchangeable allowing the 8x170 retention.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I still kind of agree with the first statement...for the time, effort and money...just go get the proper axle. Just my .02.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Hey now, thanks Karls that makes it easier.

I'd still prefer to get a 99+ parts truck, but getting an OBS is easy as hell to find one that's been used as a truck for its whole life, and there's not much left of it, I could pick them up for 500-700 and still scrap it minus the axle for 300-400.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Where do u live... buy a OBS parts truck for me and i will give u my d-50 out of a SD (may even be a 60 out of an 02) plus cash for the OBS, even better if its a 3.55 axle. King pin or ball joint d-60 it doesn't matter..

As for the swap, u can redrill your rear axle shafts and run 6.5x8 wheels which opens up your options on some other wheels.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

I already have a D50, thats what I'm trying to get rid of... just as cheaply as I can..

I'm in Ontario anyway lol, bit far for a truck swap.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Hey now, thanks Karls that makes it easier.

I'd still prefer to get a 99+ parts truck, but getting an OBS is easy as hell to find one that's been used as a truck for its whole life, and there's not much left of it, I could pick them up for 500-700 and still scrap it minus the axle for 300-400.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
I already have a D50, thats what I'm trying to get rid of... just as cheaply as I can..

I'm in Ontario anyway lol, bit far for a truck swap.
I thought u would prefer a 99+.... and the one i can get u i believe is a dana 60 out of a 02 SD, NOT a D-50 out of 99-01

But yes very far for a swap. Altho i am driving to mid state NY to deliver a set of 08 axles to a guy,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.