icon spring or 08 leaf with traction block? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
icon spring or 08 leaf with traction block?

Right now I have 6" fabtech springs in the rear with a 5" block for 9" of lift (removed stock block). The ride is terrible and was wondering if I would get a better ride with an 8" icon spring with 1" block and then some home made traction bars or if I went with 08 leafs and a 9" traction block from pmf? also does anyone know if the 3" shackle flip kit would work with 08 leafs? that way I wouldnt need such a tall block
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yes, a shackle flip will work. If you do a shackle flip, keep in mind that it adds pinion angle and moves the axle forward. This wont be a problem if you order our traction blocks as they have adjustment to them. As far as the pinion angle, you would order a flat block instead of the normal tapered one.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i was thinking along these same lines..... but was also informed that the 08 up leafs are not as much of an improvement as one would think. the icon rear leafs do a better job,

you can still order a higher lift rear spring, and not run a block at all. paired with a shackle flip would net more travel than a stock 08 spring setup.

i am going, icon 4.5 f/r, with a hanger kit up front, and flip in rear, hopefully ending with a flatter leaf arc, and a total of 6-7" of lift.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The '08-10 springs are a nice improvement and the '11+ springs are even nicer (both will work with the conversion hangers). The 99-07 Icon springs are very nice springs though and will accomplish close to the same thing if the customer is desiring to lift the truck. Dont know what your paying for the springs but many times you could do the conversion hangers and OEM springs for less.

Im not certain which Icon springs the customer had, but I did have a customer that removed his Icons, and went with the '11 springs and said they did ride softer than the Icons. He said the difference wasnt night and day but it was better. He is on this board and may chime in.

I dont think you will at all be disappointed with your choice though Shawn, just different ways to accomplish a similar result.

If running a lift spring, no block and a shackle flip, you will need to be very careful. You may end up with too much upward pinion angle. Depends on what size of springs and what size of shackle flip though. I would keep it to a 2.5" shackle flip or less if going this route.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM

awesome info !!

not totally set on the rear flip just yet, it wont be much but only needed to level truck.

the rear spring though , i am looking to stay stocklength ( 04 ) just to have more thin leafs for overall travel if needed.

i have considered your rear kit with the 08-up leafs.

your thoughts on the rear leafs ?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Icon or Deaver for rear leafs. Carli aswell if they offer them for the 99-07 trucks. I would probably lean towards Icons if the '08 conversion was off the table. Deavers are great springs, just pretty pricey.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM

I have an all spring lift now not,, Deaver but Carli is Deaver anyway

if I were to do it again I would go with updated OEM long springs or Deaver 08 up with a slight lift
and PMF traction blocks/Bars and Airbags

or all Kelderman if I hit he lottery
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM

i am more curious as to droop, if the ride is close, i would sacrifice a little ride for more droop.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I guess it depends what your trying to do with the truck. Deaver can custom build pretty much anything you want, so if its a custom setup, you may want to go that route.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
Icon or Deaver for rear leafs. Carli aswell if they offer them for the 99-07 trucks. I would probably lean towards Icons if the '08 conversion was off the table. Deavers are great springs, just pretty pricey.
We do. They're not ordered in the quantity that the rest of our leafs are so they're a bit more expensive but work awesome if you're not wanting to do the 08 conversion. I always recommend that the 99-07 guys convert to the 08+ as the leafs are cheaper (we order in larger quantities so they're #1,195.00 rather and $1,300.00) and work better as they're longer. I am going to do the 08+ conversion on my truck when I get the time to move the spring hanger forward.

Pain in the but to drop the tank and move those brackets forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
i am more curious as to droop, if the ride is close, i would sacrifice a little ride for more droop.
Our leafs are produced by deaver to our specification. They're different than the standard Deaver leafs (just to let you know)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.