Icon or Carli - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Icon or Carli

I have an 09 F350 SRW and want to level it with suspension upgrades. I have been looking at the Icon and Carli suspension systems and am obviously .ooking for the best price. I do like the Icon stage 2 kit but can't help but thing the King shocks on the Carli rain supreme. My issue with the Carli is the lack of rear shocks and the "need" for new blocks and rear leafs. Anyway vendors let me know what you can do for pricing and forum enthusiasts let ,e know your opinions on these systems, thanks to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I will say, customer service direct from icon and carly both are great. I emailed carly back and forth some, got a response usually the same day, i emailed icon last week, got a phone call 15 minutes later...both are great in that regaurd, just for reference sake.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead2012 View Post
I will say, customer service direct from icon and carly both are great. I emailed carly back and forth some, got a response usually the same day, i emailed icon last week, got a phone call 15 minutes later...both are great in that regaurd, just for reference sake.
Well I cant speak for Carli, but....When I was looking for a lift kit for my 2005 Super Duty I emailed Icon and I still never herd back from them. So I did not go with Icon.
Its been almost 2 years and Im still waiting for Icon to email me back.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak350 View Post
I have an 09 F350 SRW and want to level it with suspension upgrades. I have been looking at the Icon and Carli suspension systems and am obviously .ooking for the best price. I do like the Icon stage 2 kit but can't help but thing the King shocks on the Carli rain supreme. My issue with the Carli is the lack of rear shocks and the "need" for new blocks and rear leafs. Anyway vendors let me know what you can do for pricing and forum enthusiasts let ,e know your opinions on these systems, thanks to everyone!
Only one of the Carli 2.5" systems (Leveling System) does not include rear shocks nor any form of rear lift. They offer that as an entry level setup for the front that you can add on to in the future. All of the other 2.5" kits from the Starter Kit up to the King 2.5" Pintop kits include rear shocks and mini packs. The only guys that would need new blocks are the F350 customers as they would need to replace them with F250 blocks. Customers with F250's wouldn't need anything extra.

And you are correct that the King 2.5's with Carli's proprietary piston and valving can't be beat.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Gearhead and Gage what systems do you run and how do you like them?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
Only one of the Carli 2.5" systems (Leveling System) does not include rear shocks nor any form of rear lift. They offer that as an entry level setup for the front that you can add on to in the future. All of the other 2.5" kits from the Starter Kit up to the King 2.5" Pintop kits include rear shocks and mini packs. The only guys that would need new blocks are the F350 customers as they would need to replace them with F250 blocks. Customers with F250's wouldn't need anything extra.

And you are correct that the King 2.5's with Carli's proprietary piston and valving can't be beat.
Skyd Ram I wasn't sure if purchasing 2 king piggybacks and 2 king shocks (rear) with Carli leveling springs, track bar, brake bracket, and cam bolts,would be cheaper? I am new to the power stroke suspension game but don't see why new leaf packs would be necessary?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'd look at either Pures or Icons 4 link kits and their shocks..will ride better than using a kit with stock radius arms.

If I can help please PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Skyd Ram I wasn't sure if purchasing 2 king piggybacks and 2 king shocks (rear) with Carli leveling springs, track bar, brake bracket, and cam bolts,would be cheaper? I am new to the power stroke suspension game but don't see why new leaf packs would be necessary?
The King rears are Piggy backs and the Carli King 2.5 fronts are remote reservoir. Carli doesn't have a piggyback front setup and there is no advantage or major price difference for that. They run the Piggybacks in thre rear as it is easier than trying to mount a remote resi back there.

As far as pricing the kits prices come to about the same price as if you bought all of the parts seperately. What you just described is basically a Pintop 2.5 kit minus the add a packs. This would have the rear sit a bit lower and the ride improvement in the rear would far less.

The 6 leaf mini pack replaces the overly stiff 3/4" thick single overload leaf with a multileaf progressive setup. This improves the ride, offers some lift, and helps to control wheel hop. In your case it also allows/requires you to run a shorter block which further helps to control wheel hop.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post

We're confusing with our blocks because there are SO many different combos one could run. With the leveling kit (no rear included) F250 customers need to run the f350 block as the 2.5" of front lift is 1" more than needed to level an f250 as they're normally only rakes 1.5". The addition of the f350 block puts the rear right where it needs to be.

As stated above, the f250 block will need to be used by f350 owners if the add-a-pack will be utilized with the any or the leveling systems. If an f350 owner wants just the leveling kit, then no rear block is needed and rear shocks can be added to the leveling kit for $170.00.

Quote:
They are add-a-packs, not to be confused with full progressive leaf springs. The add-a-packs maintains one's ability to haul up to factory payload without sacrificing load capacity while smoothing out the ride of the factory springs by means of removing the factory upper and lower overloads in favor of installing a progressively engaging "mid-pack" to support the springs.

Why do we do this? All of our systems are made to be functional and increase ride quality. The stock leafs are a HUGE hindrance on the ride of the truck; thus we figured out a way to maintain stock support and only use as much spring rate as necessary for a given load resulting in a substantially better ride.

Next; are they needed? No, nothing about any aftermarket suspension is needed. People come to us as they need the capability of a 3/4-1 ton truck but hate the ride. This is a problem we're in the business of correcting and we put together kits to accomplish this task. As for constraints, we can put a kit together to accomplish anything you're out to accomplish (subtract rear add-a-packs, do a leveling kit with Kings and no rear, etc...); however, these are tweaked on a case by case basis. Hope this helps!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Guys, I appreciate all the feed back, and like most have alot to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.