Help!! Decision is driving me crazy!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!! Decision is driving me crazy!!

Trying to decide which route to go. Carli starter or backcountry. Then theres the pure performance 4" which has the 4 link up front which is nice. Then pmf s lift with the traction block is what i like but regular drop brackets. Just cant afford to bump up to his 4 link or 3 link yet. Most likely all lifts all get the 5160's with. I know theres been a ton of threads on this but its driving me crazy has anyone had driveline issues vibrations with any of these lifts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana6.0 View Post
Trying to decide which route to go. Carli starter or backcountry. Then theres the pure performance 4" which has the 4 link up front which is nice. Then pmf s lift with the traction block is what i like but regular drop brackets. Just cant afford to bump up to his 4 link or 3 link yet. Most likely all lifts all get the 5160's with. I know theres been a ton of threads on this but its driving me crazy has anyone had driveline issues vibrations with any of these lifts?

Based on your above options the Backcountry kit will ride the best. The ride of the Pure kit will depend on what shock package you go with and which 4" system you do. Their 4" Chase system with a set of the their Prodigy shocks would be their best setup. The Backcountry and Pure Prodigy shocks are valved specifically by the suspension manufacturer to work with their spring rates. The off the shelf Bilstein 5160's are generically valved as they don't know if you are running Rough Country kit, Pure Kit, or Carli Kit.

Also it is very rare for these trucks to have driveline vibrations unless you are running 8"+ of lift.

Last edited by Skyd Ram; 02-11-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM

Re: Help!! Decision is driving me crazy!!

Ok well what about traction bars. My buddy has a lift from pure and hes got traction bars with it. Do they offer them or he just get lucky? Carli backcountry does sound the sweetest riding. Guess ill just have to get some traction bars from trevor to go with it. Oh what about any axle vibration from these lifts?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Traction bars adversely affect ride quality. I would put the money you've allotted to traction bars to upgrading to a full Carli/Deaver spring pack in the rear. This will nearly eliminate your axle wrap and give you an awesome boost in ride quality!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Really they help that much. You guys haven't had any problems with axle vibration with the lift?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Ok well what about traction bars. My buddy has a lift from pure and hes got traction bars with it. Do they offer them or he just get lucky? Carli backcountry does sound the sweetest riding. Guess ill just have to get some traction bars from trevor to go with it. Oh what about any axle vibration from these lifts?

If they are in fact Pure traction bars I am guessing that they are from a few years ago. Most of Pure's better kits now come with either mini packs or full replacement leafs. By keeping the block height very low or eliminating them altogether goes a long way in controlling wheel hop. The addition of the mini packs or going to a better built leaf spring will pretty much eliminate wheel hop altogther.

Like Dan at Carli said, If you have the budget for a good set of traction bars I would just put that towards full replacement leafs that won't need the traction bars in the first place. Plus the ride improvement of the the full replacement Pure or Carli leafs is worth it by itself.

Last edited by Skyd Ram; 02-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Personally, I would be patient and wait till you get the funds together to do it the way you want to. Don't buy something and change it all out in a year to something different. Save your money and give it some more time.

My personal prefrence would be the Icon kit, One Up Offroad ALA arms, OUO traction bars, and call it a day. I am not a 4-link fan and I certainly am not a fan of no traction bars on these newer trucks. Just my personal preference.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Thats why i was kind of thinking of pmf s lift with 3 link setup and traction blocks ive just heard so many things good about traction bars for towing and smoothing out the shifts. But i want the ride quality of the carli i just hate mix matching stuff. Guess ill just think about it some more ugh!!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Thats why i was kind of thinking of pmf s lift with 3 link setup and traction blocks ive just heard so many things good about traction bars for towing and smoothing out the shifts. But i want the ride quality of the carli i just hate mix matching stuff. Guess ill just think about it some more ugh!!

Don't over-think it. Both Manufacturers have plenty of people satisfied with their product. If you're going to go with huge power, a traction setup may be your best bet. If you're going to be under 550whp and your concern is ride quality, our springs will eliminate your axle wrap and substantially improve your ride quality. Doesn't sound like you can lose either way.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Yeah that's for sure. Definitely over thinking it. Thanks everybody for the help. Hopefully by the end of the month ill be getting some pics up!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.