rear lift? blocks or springs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rear lift? blocks or springs

I have a 6" pro-comp stage 2 lift I bought pre-owned from a member. It's a nice lift but the rear came with add a leafs and blocks. The u bolts are to short for my springs since a have the top mount overloads. I am wanting to go with either full replacement springs from deaver or alcan. Or the traction block setup from PMF. The traction block setup is justjust a big cheaper but I wNt the best since I haul weight all the time and my 36' fifth all over the country quite often. I want to hear yalls input and why. Thanks in advance. My truck is in my Sig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM

I would go with Deavers but even those will ride harsher than OEM with the PMF

so while I went full 8 inch spring lift ( not Deaver) I would likely do the PMF traction with a moderate Deaver spring if money were no option and I was doing it again

if I owned your truck I would retain the OEM and overloads and go PMF

or loose the overloads and get Air bags and PMF

while it may not look like it My truck has about 800lbs in the bed at all times and the ride can be a little harsh with the all spring lift
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 AM

If you haul a lot, stay away from Deavers. I would keep your stock springs and go with a lift block and airbags, as was suggested by Zmann. That is actually the same setup I run on my truck. Most days of the week, I have a tandem dual hooked up.

I also added traction bars which made a big difference in ride quality and towing. If I knew I was going to end up getting traction bars, I would have bought the unitized lift block and traction bar combo from PMF. Instead, I bought the block from PMF and then found an awesome deal on some Pro Comp bars a couple months later so I had to buy them.

Anyway, my truck rides well, loaded or unloaded.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 AM

I'm leaning towards the blocks and traction bars. Should b ok with the single bar traction block setup right? Can't remember exactly what PMF calls it but the cheaper one is what I'm talking about. I have airbags on it now. Really don't like how it mounts. Think I will have to redo the lower mounts anyways what I put on the blocks cause my lower airbag mount kinda uses the bumpstop tang as the support. I'm sure I can figure out something. BTW has anyone used the daystar airbag cups that let the airbag come out of the mount if u get in a bind.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 AM

I went with the outside mound airbags
so that is why suggested pulling the overloads so you could mount outboard bags but didn't realize you already had inboards

I am not a fan of the inboard style
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 AM

I on my outboard bags don't run the bottom bolt to mount the bag and that works fine for Me

I haven't seen the Daystar setup yet

Google here I come LOL
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 AM

hmm kinda cool Daystarô - Driven by Design

thx
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 AM

I haven't looked at the outboard style lately but the upper mount wasn't very stout years ago. I really don't like airbags at all but the lift I bought came with the airbags and pump setup. Guys I work with r running the super springs. Which just push the top overload down to increase the load cap.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 AM

I would prefer to have the bags over my stock springs but I have a B&W gooseneck so I had to put the bags where they are. I'm sure you could fab something up to make it work outboard but it wasn't worth it to me. I haven't had any issues with this set of mounts but I did on my 04. A week after I put them on, the mounts were mangled and bent. Apparently, Firestone had a bad batch of mounts a few years ago.

The set on my 08 is holding up nicely.

OP, on the traction bars, are you referring to the gusset that PMF can put on top of the bar? It's not necessary but it does look nice, IMO. Trevor's stuff is top of the line so I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything he sells.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Not that it matters but I was pretty sure that they sold a mount for outboards and a BW ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.