Wheel Bearings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel Bearings

I have heard the wheel bearings including ABS and speed sensors for the front axle in my PSD are about $500 each side. However I heard that was for the bearings with the fine thread studs. The coarse thread studs also come on a cheaper bearing (about $300 cheaper).

Has anyone bought the cheaper bearings and swapped the studs before? What other options are there for cheaper wheel bearings. Truck has 180k and I need bearings here pretty soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

in stead of changing your studs why not just change lugnuts ? make sure you buy a good brand wheel bearing otherwise you will be changing them alot , go to rock auto.com or autopartstommorrow ,using either one of them you are looking maybe 55o total give or take with shipping autopartstommorrow sell the ford brand real cheap

Last edited by huck2080; 02-05-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Re: Wheel Bearings

Where did you hear that they were $500!?!! I spent about $210 at NAPA for a fine thread bearing assembly last Sunday. Tousley Ford has them for about $265 and $330.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 AM

Good to know...my father said they were $500 and he used to work at a ford dealer so I believed him. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM

yes the Dealer will cost around 500$. PLEASE BUY GOOD QUALITY BEARINGS, preferably TIMKENs. I found timkens for around 250$ a piece online...

I bought cheap bearings once, within a year i was getting towed home because the bearings inside them grenaded. Worst noise i ever heard. the Tow truck driver was scared to even load my truck onto his Flatbed. Sounded like the tire was just going to fall off.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Re: Wheel Bearings

Seems kind of odd that bearings could suffer a catastrophic failure like that and give no warning what so ever.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Its not that uncommon. But rock auto has good prices on timken bearings.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

Maybe I'm OCD, but I felt a faint pulsation when I installed the Precision bearing. 3 months later it was getting worse, sure enough, it was pushing grease out 50% of the backside seal. The second one pulsated directly after install as well.

While the tire/wheel was tight, I found that the stub shaft sticking out was sloppy. An ID check of the OEM unit confirmed this. It's my opinion that this larger ID (we're talking hundred thousandths of an inch here) was the root cause of the pulsation. The NAPA bearing that I bought was closer to the OEM ID and doesn't pulsate. But since I am OCD, I'll be "on the look out" for any abnormality.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New to the forum, looking through posts to learn about the truck I just bought. What all this business with $ 250 wheel bearings? I haven't serviced this truck yet, I always clean and repack the front wheel bearings on everything I buy soon after I get it. (Learned to do that many moons ago). What makes these so special? I don't ever pay more than $30-45 for both bearings & races and a seal per side. Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 AM

It is $250-$500 because it is a hub assembly. It comes with the studs (fine-$$$, coarse-$), a speed sensor, and an abs sensor. It sucks but mine have lasted me almost 200k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.