Steering Wheel Play - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Wheel Play

Okay so here is my problem when i turn my steering wheel there is like 25 degrees of play or so which doesnt really bother me too much but now sometimes when im turning at low speeds it feels like i lost power steering and the wheel also moves up and down? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

Power steering pump and box failure maybe. My steering had a lot of play and before I got it fixed the pump started to go and wound up almost losing brakes.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i guess i better get on that then
Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah could be the pump or the steering column
Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford7.3IDI View Post
Okay so here is my problem when i turn my steering wheel there is like 25 degrees of play or so which doesnt really bother me too much but now sometimes when im turning at low speeds it feels like i lost power steering and the wheel also moves up and down? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your column sits in bearings that keep everything nice and straight. When they start to go you will get movement in your column. When they get bad you will get binding, poor steering, wandering on the highway, serious play in the column/wheel. Simple to replace (relatively) and Ford sells complete rebuild kit for pretty cheap.

Odds are your steering box is loose after 20+ years of driving. Will be a big set screw with a jamb nut on it on the steering box. Bugger to work on but soak it with penetrating fluid, crack the jamb nut and turn the set screw in tight then back it off about 3/4 of turn.

Inspect your pitman arm, drag link, tie rod and ends. Should be tight with zero play in them.

Pump likely has nothing to do with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

okay so i replaced the pump on account of me having one on a parts truck and that wasnt it so im just going to try to tighten up the steering box and hope that gets me somewhere
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

I tightened my box the first time as well and after a few weeks the play was right back. The issue with using the set screw is if you do too much it can strip the box and when you go to steer it won't steer. Makes for an interesting time when going through winding roads.

I noticed that when my steering box was going out it was near impossible for me to turn my wheels when the truck was sitting still. I had to let the truck roll for the wheels to turn. When I replaced the entire box it pretty much fixed this issue. Occasionally it won't turn at idle if the tires have a lot of traction but most of the time it is not an issue.

I replaced mine with a Red Head steering box. It was a little pricier than most but reviews on them from folks said it was a top notch. Also, you can send them your core back in a flat rate box for $15. Not bad for such a heavy piece of equipment.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Having the same issue. Can't help you, but also need some advice. Changed my power steering fluid, and it didn't help. Could it be the hardware components under the front? What about the belt? I guess if the belt is bad it can hurt steering. The power steering unit could go bad as well. All these possibilities and I am not a mechanic. If anybody can help please give advice! BTW, I have an '08 6.4 F350, DPF off. No lift kit, everything else standard except for my mounted .240B on the hood :-)

Last edited by lewisduk; 02-09-2013 at 06:40 AM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.