Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

minor play in steering wheel

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  steve349 
#1 ·
steering wheels just a little bit loose does anyone know how to tighten the gearbox? My tie rod ends and the gearbox itself should be ok

#2 ·
Fouls be the tie rods, pitman arm/ idler arm or the box check them out

#4 ·
If your just talking about a little play, and you have an 350...there is a tie rod arm that will move up and down when you turn, this gives it a little bit of play.

I had a buddy replace everything, drag link, both tie rods, all new. It still flipped up and down and had a tiny bit of play. I think its something that might just have to be accepted.

If its a new play, that you have noticed a change then it could possibly be something else.

you can try to tighten the steering box by loosing the nut on top and using an allen key(I think) and tighten it that way, I'm guessing that's not your problem though.

#5 ·
it kinda feels like i have a deadzone like the wheel will lose tension truck rolls straight for a bit but then the wheels will jerk to a side, i will try to tighten the gearbox. i had a similar issue on my old 91 f-150, put in all new tie rods, new gearbox etc but on that thing the steering would go dead for a full half turn i was about to open up the steering wheel and try to tighten that part up but i sold it

#6 ·
it kinda feels like i have a deadzone like the wheel will lose tension truck rolls straight for a bit but then the wheels will jerk to a side.
My truck had a shot tie rod end and it did what it sounds like yours is doing. I'm not saying that yours in tie rod ends, but I know that was my issue.

#7 ·
when i got the truck i had a mechanic do a quick once over and he tested the steering system with a big crowbar and didn't think to mention any major play, i assumed that the play i felt was due to improper alignment but thats been taken care of and the truck is still all over the lanes like im driving drunk... anyone hear anything about shimming the gearbox or otherwise adjusting it?

#8 ·
I adjusted mine years ago, felt the same way you described, it was just like a dead zone. Now like the others have mentioned check ball ends well, get someone to watch your pitman arm and you turn the wheel in the dead zone you feel. If they see no movement then you can loosen the nut and tighten the allen with your finger tips. If you get it too tight you will overload the bearing in the box and it will eventually fail thats why I say fingertips, you just want to turn it to snug and stop. They do wear a little over time and you can take that dead zone out easy enough.

#10 ·
Looking down on top of the box it well be a Allen bolt with a jam nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.