01 7.3L Custom Stainless Steel High Pressure Steering Hose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 01 7.3L Custom Stainless Steel High Pressure Steering Hose

Im on my 5th HP power steering hose now on my 2001 7.3L PSD. And am serioiusly tired of changine these damn lines.

I just finished my AN fitting Stainless Steel Hose Steering Set-up in my jeep wrangler, and was wondering if I could do the same for that hose on my PSD.

Has anyone done it before?

What im thinking it finding the fitting size for the pump to Hydro Line. (Anyone know it?)

Im sure its the ford metric to AN adapter I'll need. I heard the 6.0L uses a 16x1.5MM fitting into the pump, someone on another forum was going to do it to their 6.0l but never updated the post if they finished it.

So basically it would be AN adpter from pump to 90* AN Fitting then S/S Hose to AN adapter to metric on the Hydroboost.

I talked to PSC here in TX and he said he has helped someone do it but never heard if the Metric to AN adapter worked due to the wierd flare fitting ford uses to screw into the pump fitting.

Let me know your thoughts guys.

-Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check with your local hydraulic shop they have all the fittings and the high pressure hoses that you will need.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I might do that in the long run but in the morning Im going to run to the bolt store and get the correct thread measurements on the pump fitting.

What im trying to figure out is if I can just use a adapter from the fitting that gets screwed into the pump...and not the fitting on the hose.

Or do I have to replace the fitting in the pump with some sort of AN adapter, If I remember correctly the fitting in the pump has a pressure port of some sort, so no AN fitting I've seen has that.

Ill see what i can find as far what adapter to use, I'm really surprised to see that no one has gotten a aftermarket hose made that runs bigger tires.

Last edited by z32gizzle; 01-21-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM

I would go there first as they are experts on high pressure hydaulic hoses and fittings. The shop I go to here in CA has a whole wall full of fittings. The other cool part is that their prices to make up a new line where less than buying the part from the parts house.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I'm taking it you were one of the few who got tired of this line aswell and had one made-up?

Im just trying to figure out what exactly they are going to do to "fix" the problem?

Even if they just have a full hydraulic fitting with no little C-Clip in it, it should take care of the problem. Since the C-Clip seems to be the problem 99.9% of the time.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AH nevermind just saw that you have a PSC Hydro Assist Kit. I talked with them for about a hour yesterday inquiring about a Powerstroke Kit and they told me they stopped making them cause the hydroboost on our trucks limits the steering from adding anymore line pressure. Plus the hacking of the original pump bracket.

They said they dont know why AGR even still offers a "upgrade Pump" cause it will fail and cause the hydroboost to take a crap on you or blow the PS Pump itself.

Only option was the Ram Assist they can offer me and I dont have that kinda dough to shell out yet.

I'll take it to the Taylor Made hose shop here in San Antonio and see what they come up with. Ill post pictures and a update of what gets done.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Yes I tried the new pump rebuilt steering box but it still did not fix my steering problem. I spent the money at PSC and I think it was some of the best money spent. I now you you can save some money as you can use the stock steering stabliser mount.
The PSC unit is worth its weight in Gold as you can spin the wheel with one finger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.