Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 F350 powerstroke...play in steering

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  n54power 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 F350 4 door 7.3 powerstroke and the steering seems to have become a little loose in the past couple of years. It drifts back and forth on the road not alot just a little bit. Has anyone had this problem and what is needed for a fix?

Thanks

#2 ·
When you say loose I dont know if I should assume you have checked all the front end linkage or not.

Have someone turn your wheel back and forth while you look under your truck, you have a tie rod at each tire, ball joint at the top of the drag link, and one at the bottom.

Any of these(or all of them) could be causing some play, if you already checked that. It could be the steering box has a bit of play, you can tighten that up by adjusting the bolt on top of the box.

Im guessing its probably just a tierod though.

#3 ·
i had the same issue as well. i tried all the tricks and fixes but in the end,after snapping a sector shaft it ended up being the gear box. they just get worn out. either get a new rebuilt box or a redhead upgrade.
do it soon. i found out the hard way that the added stress of constantly correcting my wheel added to my shaft breaking.....at about 40 mph. i got real lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.