sway bar? steering dampers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
sway bar? steering dampers?

ok, theres a thread by me above or below this one I'm sure about install on a lift kit. Heres a follow up question.

Whats everyones thoughts on when sway bars and/or steering dampers need to be used?

Steering Dampers, single and double, are priced fairly enough($300 less than the one on my motorcycle!) that if it was sizeably beneficial I would definately consider it!

I have no clue what a sway bar is or does, my expertise comes on two wheels, not four.

I'll most likely be putting the lift on tomorrow, and hopefully soon after 33's or 35's, which I've heard mixed opinions about as far as rubbing, mpg loss,......

So, if people could toss a few opinions from experience towards me I would really appreciate it. I'm trying not to start too many repetitve threads, or too many new threads either. So tell me what you think about sway bars, steering dampers, and tire sizes.

Hopefully once this is all done I'll post up some pics of everything thats done with the truck and have a finished look of it. I'll try to shoot pics at each stage of the suspension and tires (stock, lift, lift and tires) so that I can post them up so everyone can get an idea of the differences made.

If people have pics of a leveled truck with 33's and a leveled truck with 35's(same or similar truck...not 2 completely different ones) I would greatly appreciate it as it would help my tire decision making process exponentially.

Thanks again for all the help, pretty refreshing to actually get help and honest opinions when you have a serious question unlike a few other forums I've been on where people get "flamed" for asking "newbie" questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 10:32 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Sway Bar, what this does is prevent body roll, or limits body roll. You have one already on your truck trust me you do and I know you are happy with it working. Steering Damper I think you maybe thinking about a Steering Stabelizer, basically this is a shock absorber that attaches to the drag link and the frame, this prevents bump steer, which is what happens when your truck hits a bump. A steering stabelizer is around 100 dollars for a kit and if your running a lifted truck it is worth the money.

Now Tires a leveled out truck will fit 35's on it with out rubbing. But the problem is you need to stay with in a 35x11.50R? the rim size is up to you. Now some will argue that 35's rub at full lock when turned left or right. My buddies that have leveled out trucks running 35's have yet to experince any rubbing. By the way the rubbing comes from the tire hitting the frame. So if you go with aftermarket rims you can back space them and not have any problems running 35x12.50R. On a stock truck you can run 33's as it sits. I know because I have ran 33's at stock hieght with no mods to the suspension. But then again you have to stay with in the 33x11.50R size tire to prevent rubbing.

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 11-14-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:48 PM

I was lookin at 33/12.50/17 or 35/12.50/17 Nitto Mud Grapplers. Was really hoping to be able to use my stock 17's and still avoid any serious rubbing, and I'm rarely at full lock, so rubbing at full lock only wouldn't be too bad as long as my suspension travel wouldn't make it rub.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 AM

is there typically a stock steering stabilizer (we call em dampers on sportbikes....same thing tho) When putting my leveling coils on we noticed one attached under there....it was all black tho, which made me think factory, which usually means weak/junk on sportbikes. I'm planning on replacing it with one from SkyJacker if its a weak factory unit.

Still lookin hard at 35-12.50's, just not sure if I wanna deal with a lil rub on the stock wheels, or buyin a set of 18's or 20's with more backspacing to avoid the rubbing issue.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=bigcountrysg;327029]Sway Bar, what this does is prevent body roll, or limits body roll. You have one already on your truck trust me you do and I know you are happy with it working. Steering Damper I think you maybe thinking about a Steering Stabelizer, basically this is a shock absorber that attaches to the drag link and the frame, this prevents bump steer, which is what happens when your truck hits a bump. A steering stabelizer is around 100 dollars for a kit and if your running a lifted truck it is worth the money.

Exactly..............
Now Im looking for agressive street application,Front & back.Sway &traction.
Know of any.Believe me,the fool I bought this truck went ditch diving and removed them.
Thanks and right on about the weight distrubtion.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:40 PM

An aftermarket stabilizer setup is the way to go, you'll be happy you got it. And since you have a 05 you shouldn't have any problems with rubbing. A 35x12.50 will be fine with a leveling kit. On the older leaf sprung models (04 and under) there are sometimes issues with rubbing on the leaf springs.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 PM

sway bar & steering

[QUOTE=bigcountrysg;327029]Sway Bar, what this does is prevent body roll, or limits body roll. You have one already on your truck trust me you do and I know you are happy with it working.

I have become aware that I don't have one,sway bar.I can buy a sway bar,at looking at the connection for the passenger side sway bushing.There isn't any were to connect it to.The drivers side has an extension thats part of the axel connection.The passengers side has 1 taped hole for the bushing & its bracket to connect to.

Any one know whats missing.?
I guess its a 1 inch thick piece of metal the lenght of the bushing bracket.,but I'd be guessing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.