front hubs/bearings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front hubs/bearings

How can i evaluate these for flat spots i have the hubs off the truck and id like to clean/repack them while they are off, also id like to clean out the sleeves that the front axleshafts slide out of its an 02 so it has the enclosed hub assembley easy enough to take off but i don't know if it can be taken apart and if thats a good ideal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Just finished doing the same thing on my 03 Ex. This might help.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

I ending up just buying new timkins off Amazon. Great price for a fine thread stud! I did the vacuum seal, outer axle tube and u joints while i was in there too. Ball joints were fine. Lots of fun but with 200,000 miles it was due.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM

im doing the balljoints and u joints myself, i have one side that seems to be covered in a orangered dust and i can't imagine what its from because the other is clean, but did you reuse the metal seals that go around the outer shafts?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Are you talking about the one on vacuum (knuckle) seal? I started with a cheaper napa seal only to find out when i went to the dealer to buy the metal rings that they are actually part of the seal. A timkin now owned by national or the ford seal will have them on there. You also need to buy a seal installer for $50 or get a dealer put them on the shaft. Clean them up nice first. I made a tool from 1 1/2 steel pipe, a ground down flange and a cap. Had to shim inside to make it square. Kind of a pain but it worked. As for the u joints they're the bigger more expensive ones. You need a press! Keep them square. Tap with a hammer and they'll pop out with less of a bang. Kinda scary if you don't! Lol!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM

just responding now, but i actually ended up finding out my inner yokes were tweaked, and i was correct on finding a flat spot in one of my hubs, after getting the shafts repaired u joints in and new outer yokes, needle bearing, and one hub i put it all back togehter to find out i lost one of the washers that would go on the outer spline and that one of my factory lockers had its bearing seize up. Anyone know where i can find that washer i remember reading about it somewhere but am completely drawing a blank, and how about a cheap set of manual lockers for an 02 f-250 superduty im having trouble finding them on my regular sites..
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 AM

You can go thru the lockers to clean and grease them. Might work. The same guzzle's site has instructions. I'm thinking a dealer for the shim. Should be two plus the plastic thrust bearing i think. I like the auto hub feature..
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 AM

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

It also allowed me to get aftermarket wheels with covers to hide the hubs. Lol!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenoctum View Post
You can go thru the lockers to clean and grease them. Might work. The same guzzle's site has instructions. I'm thinking a dealer for the shim. Should be two plus the plastic thrust bearing i think. I like the auto hub feature..
the bearing inside my locker is seized up, and i kinda busted up the vaccum nozzle on the steering knuckle so the hose will no longer fit I'm thinking the easiest way is to get new lockers, but id be game for replacing that bearing and the nozzle. I already took them all apart and cleaned everything
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM

I'm not sure about what to do with the locker. Maybe someone else on here does?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM

eh when in doubt junkyard it im gonna run over there tommrow try to grab a locker, my missing washer, and a vac noozle probably won't run me more than $20, i got a whole hub and lockers assembly for my 91 150 for $32.00 and that wasn't even at a pull it yourself place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.