4" or 6" LIFT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" or 6" LIFT?

I got me a new set of 36X12.50X16.5 Good Years. I need to lift the war wagon to get them under it but I have a few questions:

Can I fit them under there with a 4" Lift or will I need a 6"?
I want front and rear springs not 4" or 6" blocks in the rear, can anyone recommend a good kit?
How high is too high for daily driving?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had an 06 4x4 with a 6 inch lift and 35x13.50 tires and i think they were somewhat close to rubbing, i cant remember exactly. I will tell you that if you are doing this on your own and you are worried about there being a clearance issue...definitely go with the bigger lift. I bought a 10 inch lift to replace the 6 and bought 40s because everyone said they would fit. Well they did not fit and I had to go with a shorter and skinnier tire (39.5x13.50). Luckily I was doing this through a 4x4 shop so they just ordered new tires and took back the 40s so it was no big deal. My point being, if you are doing this on your own and the tires are too big for the lift...you are screwed.

6 inch lift, in my opinion, is perfectly fine for a daily driver. When you really think about it, the difference between a 4 and 6 inch lift is so small that you might as well go with a 6 if you are going to go through all the trouble of putting a lift on anyway.

As far as lift kits, they are all similar in my opinion for leaf springs. Im sure others will disagree with me. But if you are looking to buy a new lift kit, let me tell you a secret of how to find the lowest prices. Go to the lift kit website and they will have the box numbers for the specific kit that you want. Copy and paste that in google or the google shopping spot and a bunch of different retailers will pop up. From there it is just finding the warehouse with the lowest prices. I saved probably 500 to 700 dollars on the lift kit I bought by using this technique. And about 500 dollars on the tires I bought. If you are buying used that is a totally different ball game.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. Still can't make up my mind. The 8" & 10" lifts cost the same as the 6" lift. I do have a goose neck trailer I pull sometimes. I was told not to go over a 4" and maybe a 6" will work with pulling a trailer. Any one out there pulling a goose neck with a lift?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been wondering the same.. I want the 6" lift, but I pull a 5th wheel every now and then for job relocating.. Hopefully someone will chime in.. I'm running 35x11.50 18's on stock FX4 suspension..
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Is the FX4 set higher (stock) than a regular F250?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you use it as a "truck" no way I'd put anything over 6" lift.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone have experience or know of someone with experience with ZONE lift kits? I have been leaning towards the 4" and low and behold I found a ZONE 4" lift with shocks for $810.00 shipped. I would just like to see if anyone has used this kit. I don't have a problem spending $1,200 - $1,500 for a quality kit because I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I have used Superlift and Skyjacker kits on vehicles in the past. Let me know if you have any input. . . . . . . .

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Ford F250 F350 Super Duty suspension lift kits for diesel engine
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i would look else just based on the number of leafs, the lesser amount of leafs , the harsher the ride. look for something with 10-12 leafs total.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a kit you could recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.