help with reverse shackle kit identification and info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help with reverse shackle kit identification and info

first off, new here and first post. hello everyone!

okay so I bought a 1996 F250 2wd that had a coil spring D44 8-lug swap done, but also came with a reverse shackle kit. long story short I bought a 1996 D60 front that came out from under a F350 and I want to get rid of that D44. I cant identify what brand kit this is. I need to figure it out so I can figure out what kind of springs I need to run and how much lift to achieve a full 8"-10" of lift like the truck has now (currently has 9" bronco coils, im sure they are squatting some under the weight of the 7.3)... If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very greatfull!

here is the kit, basically I have the two front crossmembers, stock rear mounts and some kind of stock springs.. here are the front:

pic of the truck as it sits now on the coil sprung D44:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 05:39 PM

If those are the front mounts for the RSK, they look almost home made. Im not an expert on the subject but it seems that, from looking around, all of the kit makers use a cross-tube to tie them together for more structural support.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well poop. okay guess ill look for a complete sas kit for a '96 f250 then... any suggestions on cheap/good kit? I already have the '96 F350 D60 axle

okay also another question, I have the stock rear mounts from an F350 also (where the factory shackle mounts too)... since the F350 frame is a little different, and all I can find are F350 shackle reversal kits, how would this work on my F250?

Last edited by bighoss77; 01-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looks are home made crap..way to thin of plate...scarry!

Don't use a shackle flip in the rear...

We developed the RS kit SD spring swap 13 years ago...PM me if I can help we have everything needed.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dont use a shackle flip in the rear? isnt that what a reverse shackle flip is? I just dont want to have alot of money in the truck... I can buy 6" springs from Summit for $600, already have the crossover steering bar with heim joint ends I can take off the 44 setup and use on the 60, and can buy a drop pitman for around $100 at Summit. I just payed $700 for the D60 axle, I really cant swing another $600 right now for a reverse shackle kit, but I need to get this done soon so I can get the truck back on the road... now I got other problems to worry about too like my new trans is already pouring from the front pump seal.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM

A RS kit is only used in the front, your confusing it with a Shackle flip thats only for the rear...

Sure you can get std OBS springs and end up costing less....and it will ride like a tank also.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

they are supposed to be soft ride springs. Are they the same lenght and have the same center as the newer SD springs? so what I have here wont work for a reverse shackle? I traded the trans installation for the D44 front thats up under the truck now, so I have to get this front end out asap and get the D60 up under there is the only reason im kinda rushing on this situation.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM

If they are SD springs then yes will ride better than OBS lift springs but you still need a rs kit. Then you have to install the kit 3.5" forward on the frame if its made correctly..but I wouldn't use that one...to thin!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can beef up the plate and add a bar to tie the two together. I'm just trying to get away with the cheapest I can right now (which in this case is trying to make what I have work)... If I have to spend $600 on springs and $100 on a drop pitman arm, I just dont want to put another $600 into a reverse shackle kit. I'll take some pictures of where it mounts up on the frame at the front. Also, I guess I'm still not grasping the whole shackle reverse... I'm thinking its just brackets to be able to move the shackle to the rear? Whats this about the whole setup needs to be moved foreward 3"? I'm guessing because the angle of the shackle while sitting on full wieght of truck?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

for better understanding of what I have:

this is how the bracket fits on the passenger side of the frame under the front cab mount:

these are the brackets for the rear:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.