need some leaf spring advice removing 2" lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some leaf spring advice removing 2" lift

Not too educated on leaf springs, but my 04 was purchased with a 2" front block lift, what parts do I need to buy to remove lift? Just shackles? Or will I need sway bar links etc? I'm sure this is simple but all I know I really know are tractor air rides and car coil Springs... Thanks for any help

One last thought, this might be wishful thinking but could I use the blocks to lift my rear Springs? All my truck does is 15k-20k towing this would help in the short term while I look into a full fbss air system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

A BLOCK on top of the FRONT axle!?! WTF is up with that!?! Can you post a picture? Are you sure it's not a mini-pack?

Either way, take it out and if you have the means, you can cut/re-thread the ubolts down. This is EXACTLY what I did when I took the blocks out of the back of my truck in favor of a spring lift. I think my front u-bolts were 1/2x20.

As for the rest of the post, I'm a little confused, are you wanting to keep the ride height, just not utilizing blocks?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
your shackle should be stock, if it is just a block, remove it. rethread or replace u bolts with some shortened ones. if they did change the endlinks , i would be amazed. most likely on a 2" , the links are still stock.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I get out to my shop i'll try to get a picture of it im sure thats what I was told by the previous owner.

I am basically trying to return the front to the stock height so when I tow heavy the rear doesnt make the front end point at the sky, I know its a temp fix but the full air ride isnt cheap at 2-3k for front and back setup so for the month or so it takes for me to earn the cost back id like to at least have the front somewhat lower.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question

Posted a pic of what the front spring looks like, would that be the small block or is that just the mount for the u-bolts to grasp? If the latter is the case im guessing I will need new leaf springs to get back to stock height?
Attached Thumbnails
need some leaf spring advice removing 2" lift-sfsdf.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Good news/bad news, that looks like a stock spring set up. 2 leafs and that big ole honkin shock mount. When you said block, I thought you meant between the axle and spring.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lightbulb

So I'm riding on stock height? Wouldn't be the first time a seller lies to a buyer thats ok, but I've seen other 4x4 F350 with a much lower front stance than my own...hmm need to look into a lowering solution any suggestions?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

This is not to say that there isn't a hanger system there to lift up the front. What does the front/rear of the leafs look like where they mount? Speaking of which, what do the leaf spring eyes look like? If they look like the rears, they could be a lift spring. Both of the OEM springs wrap around the forward eye.

The front should have a c-channel mount directly fixed to the frame. The rear should have an 'average' length shackle that mounts mid frame.

Another way to make it sit level is to remove the rear blocks like a friend of mine did. F250s usually have 2.5" blocks. F350s usually have a 3.5" block. Usually.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone

Last edited by Karls03; 12-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question front suspension lowering

Till the funds are here for air ride I wanted to at least lower the front an inch or 2 if possible to level out my ride when towing extra heavy, by lowering would this cause any issues with my use of 4x4?

Doesnt happen often but I use my truck with a 3car trailer so the weight varies daily from 10k-18k with a 6,000lbs trailer

Any suggestions? (Just replied to my old thread did not want to start a new one with a just one question)

Last edited by EIAutoTransport; 01-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
first off, post a pic of the front leafs mounting points,

secondly, the truck may have had a different rate front spring and swapped with a stiffer rate thus lifting the front......plow pack springs .

if the latter, it is possible to lower the front with out any harm, otherwise it would involve a little too much work to make it worth while.,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.