Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

When to drop pitman/trac bar?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  CT Performance, Inc. 
#1 · (Edited)
2003 F350 6.0L Leaf sprung

I have searched and found a little info here and there, more so on coil sprung front ends which I am not sure how much it would differ for me being leaf sprung.

At what point do you suspension guru's reccomend getting a drop pitman and dropping the trac bar? 3"....4"....4.5"....5"???

#3 ·
you have the ability to have ok steering at 3.5", anything over that should have a drop track bar bracket and pitman arm to match. either way an adjustable track would be best for added strength and security against deathwobble.

what ever route is chosen, it is imperative to have steering and trackbar angles parallel to obe another.

#4 ·
First, I did JUST an add-a-leaf. Aside from the expected firming up of the front, no issues.

Then I added 3 inch hangers and a dropped track bar bracket for about 5" of front lift. Waiting on the dropped pitman arm sucked. Once the dropped pitman arm was in place, all was good again. At this point I was rolling 34.5x14.5 Toyos WITHOUT a steering stabilizer, no issues.

I saw the add-a-leaf was digging into the OEM pack, so I ditched the springs/hangers for a front spring lift (kept the drop bracket/pitman arm).

Personally, I don't like adjustable track bars on leaf sprung trucks. The leafs travel vertically and the track bar travels in an arc. A longer track bar will travel in a greater arc.

I do believe that the track bar and pitman arm should be parallel. Therefore, if you use a dropped pitman arm, a dropped track bar bracket will keep things level, so to speak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.