Grinding noise in front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grinding noise in front end

Ok, so just got a 94.5 F250 7.3 turbo diesel, 5 speed, 4x4, 233xxx miles. Sometimes when I'm driving it, there will be a grinding/rubbing noise that comes from the front end. I think its coming from the driver side. It comes and goes. I drive it say 20 miles nothing, then maybe 10 miles and it will start. Also if I stop then start driving again there's no noise, I'll hit like 30-50 it will start. Then I stop again ect. But the thing I don't get is I'll bring it home, park it over night, next day get in it and drive it there's no noise! Its driving me crazy! I've had it checked out 2 times both times didn't do it and they were like "cant find anything wrong" I know it needs both ball joints and the upper tie rod end on the driver side. could that be my problem?!?! I have no clue were to start and I don't want to start playing the "guess this part" game and I end up rebuilding the whole front end before I'm done. Also it leans to to driver side? Only the front end leans. Rear looks good, does that have a connection? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wheel bearing?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like except it stops for a bit when He stops ?

a jacked caliper and rotor // cools off a bit when stopped ??
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM

a wheel bearing would do the same, you only here the grinding of a wheel bearing when your moving faster than lets say 15mph
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autofair Diesel parts View Post
Wheel bearing?
How would I check a wheel bearing? I think its that too but wouldn't do it all the time? Yesterday, drove it 60 miles and nothing. Today drove it maybe 20 and it started. It comes at random. But, then will go away if I stop and drive at like 20 mph. I'm so lost...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM

take the wheel off and spin it to see if you here the grinding noise, but i think you will only hear it at high sppeds greater than 20mph. Take the bearing off and spin in and it should be tight to sprin. If its easy to spin its a wheel bearing
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well guys, finally got my front end tore apart and found my driver side hub is SHOT! I mean completely gone. So I'm replacing it tomorrow, and I'm almost positive that it where the grinding noise was coming from..Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.