Lowered F350 driveline vibration??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowered F350 driveline vibration???

I'm looking at buying a heavily modified F350 and have a few questions. The truck is an 01 F350 (was 4wd) with a 7.3. The truck was lowered on dream beams in the front and all of the front suspension was converted to a 2wd independent set up out of an 08. Drive shafts are still stock 4wd pieces rear lowered 5in. The seller says it has a drive train vibration on deceleration and above 70mph. He says that it is because the drive shaft angle being wrong from the drop. He says its and easy fix swapping the carrier bearing to a 2wd unit. I have had a lifted SD and a stock one but have zero experience with lowered trucks. Seems to me that if it was that easy to fix he would have done it already?? Dont want to pay good money for the truck then have to spend big $$$ to make it right. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, it could be pinion angle which I kinda thought you would need to shim (wedge) under the rear springs to change the angle.

Now my personal opinion, I dont make it a habit of buying other peoples "project" vehicles. This is especially true when they have done driveline mods and tell you there is a little vibe but is an easy fix. You need to assume a "worse case senerio" when you tell this guy what your willing to spend. I have insulted a few guys because they have junk but advertise it as gold. Be real and dont go there thinking "I have to buy this truck"!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
Well, it could be pinion angle which I kinda thought you would need to shim (wedge) under the rear springs to change the angle.

Now my personal opinion, I dont make it a habit of buying other peoples "project" vehicles. This is especially true when they have done driveline mods and tell you there is a little vibe but is an easy fix. You need to assume a "worse case senerio" when you tell this guy what your willing to spend. I have insulted a few guys because they have junk but advertise it as gold. Be real and dont go there thinking "I have to buy this truck"!
Thats my problem, I have no clue what the worse case scenario is....I have a friend that is a Ford diesel tech that can look at the truck with me but he knows nothing about aftermarket suspension stuff. Is this combination a common way to lower these trucks?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is what I am seeing, why would someone first turn a 4x4 into a rwd? That just seems weird to me. It would have been better to sell that truck and buy a rwd. They are less cost so the PO would have been farther ahaed. This tells me that he didnt think things through and probably didnt do a good job on this truck. As far as worse case, I would assume there is a chance the rear axle would need rebuilt and possibly a driveshaft. Not saying it will but these are things I consider when looking at a vehicle. I dont know what dream beams are. Pics might help but I would be extremely skeptical.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
This is what I am seeing, why would someone first turn a 4x4 into a rwd? That just seems weird to me. It would have been better to sell that truck and buy a rwd. They are less cost so the PO would have been farther ahaed. This tells me that he didnt think things through and probably didnt do a good job on this truck. As far as worse case, I would assume there is a chance the rear axle would need rebuilt and possibly a driveshaft. Not saying it will but these are things I consider when looking at a vehicle. I dont know what dream beams are. Pics might help but I would be extremely skeptical.
I was told that dream beams are the best way to lower our trucks. Again not an expert only going off what I was told. And with a solid axle ie: 4wd you cant effectively lower the front without all kinds of suspension geometry problems which was why he swapped to an 08 front.

1999 – 2007 Ford Superduty Kits | DJM Suspension | DJM Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.