Should I ditch my leafs for a coil swap??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I ditch my leafs for a coil swap???

Alright guys, I Know there a ton of threads about swapping 05-07 axles on the 99-04 F250. I will try not to beat a dead horse.

Heres my situation. I have a 04 F250 with 8" icon springs with 2" shackles and dual 2.0 FOX res shocks up front. I am kicking around the idea of doing a 05 axle swap to get a better ride and turning radius. I dont want to go any lower than 10" but would ideally like to go up to 12". I am interested in doing a 4-link with the axle swap. What I am currently thinking is to get PMF 4-link arms with the clocking ring and transfer case bracket and Icon 7" coils with a 5" PMF spacer. And here is where my questions come in:

Has anyone performed anything close to what I want to achieve and if so please chime in. And if you did the swap, was it worth it??

Are the radius arm brackets off the donor truck bolted on or are they riveted on the frame like the coil buckets? The reason I ask is because I am thinking I will buy the coil buckets from Ford instead of having to fight the rivets and if the radius brackets are riveted I will buy new ones as well.

Also, I know OUO is the way to go but a young man in the military with wife and kids cant really justify spending 8-10K on a lift. I like the Full Traction kit because I can keep my current axle but wont get more than 10" out of it. Any thoughts, comments, ideas?

I have attached a pic of my current setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I ditch my leafs for a coil swap???-262926_4688731780097_657970350_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You will like the improvements

I can check the drop bracket mounting when the sun goes up LOL or ask Trevor if He can change up the mount for a retro fit ,, ???

you'll still have a stiff rear suspension ,, I have 6 inch coils with a 2.5" spacer and 8 inch superlift springs in the rear ,, I am considering a rear spring delete myself
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 AM

ZMANN, thanks for your reply back. I appreciate you looking into the brackets for me. I would craw under one myself but Im currently in Afghanistan so that would be tough lol.

The rear dosent bug me too much because I tow my boat often durring the warm months in TX. But maybe I will be looking into some softer rear springs with air bags for towing.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 AM

the o8 springs with PMF blocks is what I should have done to soften up mine instead of lifted springs

I sold My OEM's to someone with a 7.3 so they could soften up their ride LOL

I'll post back in a bit

Be safe
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

the radius arm brackets are riveted on... the coil buckets cannot be purchased ford as you will have to purchase a whole frame to get them (as far as i know) so grinding the rivets off and punching them out is really your only option.. some guys use the super duper air hammer, mine didn't work.....it sucks, ive done it.. but its worth it in the end!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 AM

thx .......
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Man, that is bad news! I was hoping to not to have to go though that PITA of taking the rivets off. I will keep trying to find a donor truck I guess. I would just go to a junk yard and pull what I need but I can just imagine how long it will take to get those off and as usual I can double that lol! I wouldnt want to spend that sort of time at the junk yard considering most dont allow power tools.

The Full Traction kit is looking better but dont want to be stuck with 10".
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 AM

here is a part# I came up with for the coil bucket 3Z-5A306-CA

pretty sure this is the right part# can anyone confirm?
Attached Thumbnails
Should I ditch my leafs for a coil swap???-imagescajie86w.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 AM

And I guess I didnt look very hard but here is the part # for the radius arm bracket i think 5c3z-3B095
Not sure I would pay $200 each though.

Last edited by Scotty83; 11-11-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 AM

that does look like the pass side coil bucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.