Question on rear air bags - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question on rear air bags

I installed a 3.5" ready lift on my f350 with a 5" rear block. Currently I also have a 1" aal in the rear with the block. I also put new 35" duratracs and bilsteins all around at the same time. My rear bounces at 50 mph and don't think it my tires since they've been balanced 3 times and still the same. My dad has the same truck and I'm going to swap the rear tires (his are still stock) to see if it bounces or not. If it does then I'm assuming its the aal. If not then its easy and it's the tires.

I wish my rear sat up another inch so, instead of 2" of total lift in the rear I'd like 3". However, I have a black truck and need to be able to wash it in the car wash about once a week and right now it barely fits. If I lift it any more I think my cab lights would hit the dryers.

Here's what I'm thinking if its the aal that's the problem...since I have over 1000ftlbs at the rears I want to get a set of fat boy traction bars to help with eliminating axle wrap. I was thinking about getting 5"-6" blocks with the traction bars and taking the aal off and installing some air bags. This way I could deflate the air bags when going through a car wash and then inflate them back up when I get out to the rake that i want. I think the aal is just making my one ton ride too rough.

Sounds like it would work to me, what do you think? Do bags ride softer than aals? Can I get 2" of rise with bags and which should I go with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you will be highly disappointed in the ride with inflated bags, and no load. the bouncing as could be tires, but if they balance out, the shocks could be junk, they are what controls spring activity. if you do have that kind of torque, a traction bar will help, but a full replacement leaf would be better.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Just talked to a guy at church today with the same duratracs and he said he has the same bounce at 65 and can't get it to go away
Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
are you sure it isnt your roads, i have a few in the area where you can watch all trucks bounce for a while
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Does it on all roads. Brand new asphalt, concrete highway, old back roads ect. If I'm doing 50, then it's bouncing. It's not a bad shake your truck loose bounce, just an annoying fast bounce. I kinda ruled out the tires since every time discount tire said it balanced at zero. But it feels just like out of balance tires
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 AM

You running emulsion shocks in the rear? They might not keep up to the spring rate of your rear leafs?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Um don't know what emulsion shocks are. I agent to the car wash last night and had them stop my cab lights under the dryers which is the lowest point so I can measure for sure. I have 3.5" between the lights and the dryer. I'm getting 7" blocks with my fat boy bars and eliminating the aal.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM

airbags with no load will make the ride worse, get rid of the aal and get the traction, also are your tires over filled?

i have a 6" block lift on the rear of my 89, don't get Axel wrap cause there all welded together and too the rear end, 7" block im not sure about

Last edited by 897.3alltheway!; 11-06-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 AM

7 inch blocks are not a good choice IMHO

emulsion shocks ? that term is almost never used ,, specially not on these Forums
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM

What's wrong with 7" blocks? That's the height I'd like, and have no need for the aal anymore. It'll have the same basic rake as it did stock by raising a total of 3.5" front and 3" in the rear. Actually it'll have 1/2" less rake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.