Does it matter which way rear shocks are installed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does it matter which way rear shocks are installed?

Put new Bilstein 5100s for 2-4" lift on my 350 after my 3.5" level with an aal. I put the bodies on top because the boot would be right next to the 5" exhaust and didn't want it to distort or melt the boot. At 45-50mph the rear bounces and is getting kinda annoying. It's not the tires, have had them balanced three times and still the same thing. I heard that the body of the shock should be down and this should help with the bounce. Is this true? Wouldn't think it would matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk450er View Post
Put new Bilstein 5100s for 2-4" lift on my 350 after my 3.5" level with an aal. I put the bodies on top because the boot would be right next to the 5" exhaust and didn't want it to distort or melt the boot. At 45-50mph the rear bounces and is getting kinda annoying. It's not the tires, have had them balanced three times and still the same thing. I heard that the body of the shock should be down and this should help with the bounce. Is this true? Wouldn't think it would matter.
MOUNTING POSITION/DIRECTION CAN BE LIFE OR DEATH OF A SHOCK

You may have already trashed those shocks. Gravity keeps the fluid where it is suppose to be, running them upside down moves the fluid and eliminates cooling. The stiff ride is your shocks trying to hydro lock from excessive heat, keep it up and they will rip the weaker of your two mounts out of the truck completely.

Dust boots are good for collecting sand and other garbage that will score your shock rod. Replace your shocks and leave the boots in the box. I've had aftermarket shocks on my truck for years, no boots, no failure, and I live in a dusty/sandy area.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Shocks are fine..I would remount them with the Bilstein name right side up. Exhaust isn't hot back there ..unless you have a latter truck with regin...

Also the boots have holes to let any moisture that may get in ...out up side down the holes are in top.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Just talked to Bilstein and they said the 5100 doesn't matter which way it goes since its a monotube design. If it was a twin tube design then it would matter. I may flip them anyways to see what will happen.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

I have the 5100s on the rear of my truck with the body mounted on top. That's the way its supposed to be according to the directions. They said mount them where the writing is in the correct direction. Hope it helps.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Then what else could I do to smooth out the rear end?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM

I didn't like Bilsteins I went a different route

I found them too stiff ,, but tire PSI can play into the ride also
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM

The rears are around 55 psi and they are in 325/60/20s. I do t know how low to set them and for them to not be too low for bad tread wear. The are duratracs.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

I recently started to have a bounce in my rear end at 49mph( yes exactly 49), im suspecting the toyo mt are culprit because that's the only thing that's change.

Anyways to answer your question. To soften the rear end get a mini-pack to replace the lower overload spring. Or you can get full replacement springs like deavers.

I would try a better shock though to begin with. That's the route im going soon. The 5100s are a bit stiff. But 55psi sounds ok. I run 60 in the rear of mine. I was running 50-53 but the outside was wearing to fast
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the 5100s are an IFP (independent floating piston) design. This means there is a floating piston withing the shock body that separates the oil and the nitrogen. This prevents cavitation and negates any effect of gravity on the oil within the shock. What "Karls03" is referring to is an emulsion shock in which there is no separation between the oil and nitrogen/air and cavitation is prevalent given the piston isn't always submerged in oil. Overall, nothing you have to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.