Rear axle shifted back - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear axle shifted back

I have a 4.5" Icon on the truck. i think the blocks were the 5" flat blocks. its hard to see in the picture, but if you look close you can see how much it shifted towards the rear. I do have the carrier bearing spacer kit, but havent messed with that yet. Do i need some sort of shim for the rear block. ive been looking around for a while I just want to make sure i get the right thing before i buy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 PM

it will change if you use a ten degree angled block. It depends how much it bother you, if you want to fix it. Is the truck aligned and finished? Who installed the kit?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The rear axle positioning on these trucks already places it slightly back in the wheel well. Because of the angle of the leaf springs this gets worse as you lift them. Some componanies offer block/upper u-bolt plate setups that can be used to position the axle a bit forward to counteract this. Also, Carli's full leaf replacements are built with the centerpin moved forward to put the axle closer to the center when lifter.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweb30 View Post
it will change if you use a ten degree angled block. It depends how much it bother you, if you want to fix it. Is the truck aligned and finished? Who installed the kit?
It kind of bothers me. I didnt want to cross a ditch or something and hit my fender or something weird like that. I havent got an alignment yet. ICONs instructions states that an alignment isnt needed with the lift i used. something about it doesnt change the caster or camber or something. Im still going to take it when i get the chance. I did the install. It was a breeze.

my IFS f150 was the hardest thing ive ever done and we just eye balled it like the oldschoolers used to. No problems after 25kmiles...... not going to do this with this truck..

as far as the 10degree block are there any manufacturers to look at more then others.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck looks like that with just a leveling kit, the rear axles are off center of the wheel opening stock. The larger tires just make it more noticeable.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 AM

factory specs have the wheel sitting back in the wheel well. I noticed it on my F350 more so than 250s. Depending on howmuch it bothers you, Carli has a full spring pack for the rear that moves the axle forward. I was worried like you bout my tires rubbing the fender,with the new spring pack at full bump and 37s no rubbing whatsoever
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The reason we moved the center pin forward was exactly that, Sages Toyo's made contact with his rear fender so we HAD to address it. I wouldn't leave the truck the way it is... As for Icon's alignment, so long as they drop the radius arm back to exactly the factory angle, the caster won't need an adjustment and the toe won't unless you altered the tie-rod for any reason. Either way, the drag link will need to be lengthened to re-center the steering wheel.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
The reason we moved the center pin forward was exactly that, Sages Toyo's made contact with his rear fender so we HAD to address it. I wouldn't leave the truck the way it is... As for Icon's alignment, so long as they drop the radius arm back to exactly the factory angle, the caster won't need an adjustment and the toe won't unless you altered the tie-rod for any reason. Either way, the drag link will need to be lengthened to re-center the steering wheel.
It did drop the radius arms back. Appears to be pretty darn close to what it looked like before. anyway i got all the other things figured out.

As far as the rear goes to move the axle back to center, whats the cost in doing so. you can PM if you want.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
PM sent!!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i was looking at an offset block when I had the same issue with my Deaver springs

I never bought it because I went to a different brand spring all together so I am not sure if it's a viable option ?
lifted blocks

pmf also sells blocks and top plates that can move the axle front or back

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.