Need help deciding on lift setup!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help deciding on lift setup!!

Hey guys, been looking at lift kits for my 02' 350 for a while now and I am stuck at a crossroads on which setup to get in terms of looks and durability. I can't decide to go with a 6" lift on 37's or a 4" lift on 35's. I really like the look of the 6 on 37's but heard from a buddy he had the same setup and said that it cost him to go through 2.5 transmissions and recommended I stay safe with the 4" lift on 35's.

Anybody out there have personal experience or any knowledge of what he was talking about? I don't drive like a jackass, and occasionally tow my 21' ski boat and use dirt roads during summer. Also considering doing a sled pull once or twice. Any help and input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the transmissions would have been fine had he regeared the rear end. go with what size you think you would love the most. as far as durability and quality there is several options to choose from. whats your budget? what wheels are you going to run?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM

He would have had to re gear even with the truck being geared so low to begin with? Is that something I should do as well? Not really set on a budget but not looking to spend too much (don't wanna spend more than 2k on a lift, lookin at pro comp lifts) I'm thinking of running 17-18" wheels. Not totally against 20's but not crazy about them.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
what gears are you?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Everything is factory right now not sure what gears those are stock. Axle code is D1. 3.73 limited slip?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

u should do fine with 6" on 37's

i had that on my obs, now have 40's no tranny problems what so ever

have a 8" with 40's on my 05 with no problems either

didnt regear anything on the obs though
Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM

Oh well that's good to know, you running a tuner in either of your vehicles? I will eventually have one and assume that'll change my shift points or wear on the tranny.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperduty View Post
Oh well that's good to know, you running a tuner in either of your vehicles? I will eventually have one and assume that'll change my shift points or wear on the tranny.
i have a super-chips in my 7.3, dont have money for a better one, depending on the setting, yes it makes some of the gears taller and shorter, no wear or tear on the tranny at all
Old 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM

That's great to know thank you. I was really wanting to go with a 6" lift till I heard about the possible tranny problems. But now that I'm hearing otherwise I'm glad I won't have those problems.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperduty View Post
That's great to know thank you. I was really wanting to go with a 6" lift till I heard about the possible tranny problems. But now that I'm hearing otherwise I'm glad I won't have those problems.
you shouldent, i dont know what your friend was doing to go through two tyrannys, iv had my e40d for years with no problems, same with the 05, none what so ever,even when towing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.