4" lift drive shaft shims - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" lift drive shaft shims

As you can guess I'm having a hard time getting the shims right What amount have you guys used or are they all different? any suggestions or a drive shaft balance in order? I've been searching the site but not much luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 AM

I installed the 4" spacer block or whatever that came with my 4" lift kit. Don't think it had any "shims" per say. But I know what you are talking about. I have SLIGHT vibing off the start and around 45mph. Not to big of a deal. I haven't found any tech info on how to set up a 2pc driveshaft for angles. SO, I guess try different combos until one works best. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 PM

HAHA!!!! FOUND IT!!!!

Two-Piece Driveshaft Technology - Rod and Custom Magazine

THIS IS A GREAT ARTICLE ON 1 PC AND 2 PC DRIVESHAFTS. Ideally, we should have our front shaft set at 0* out of the Trans. and then treat the rear like a 1pc shaft. OR juggle all 3 angles until they equal 0*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to start looking at my angles and figuring out how to set it up correctly. b/c you should not have vibes on a truck as new and stock(ish) as mine. My 4runner rock crawler did 90 w/out vibes! At any speeds!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM

I got the Shim kit with my lift, it said 1/4 inch of shim for every inch of lift.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Killer View Post
I got the Shim kit with my lift, it said 1/4 inch of shim for every inch of lift.
That is a general starting spot, I had to put a full inch in mine for a 3" lift.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 PM

I just used a angle finder on my driveline. Found out why I have VIBES under take off. the pinion is pointing up more than the driveshaft. Supposed to be 1-2* lower than the Dshaft on a Leaf spring set up. So my angles are a lil out of whack. 2.5* Down, .5*, .5*up.

What I might start with is lifting the Center carrier until the front Ujoint has 0-1* of Operating angle. that will maybe kill 2 birds with one stone for me. the front angle is 2.5*, and my pinion is pointing up more than the shaft. (that deff aint good!).

And the reason why ford is using 2pc shafts is b/c the thing is so long, you're safter running 2 pcs so it doesn't explode on you.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 10-23-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM

Thanks I'm going to get my angle finder now I'll let you know what I come up with
Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

I need to get an angle finder...where did you guys get yours at?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM

I measured my angles and I got 5˚ at the tcase 0.5˚ at the steady bearing and 4˚ at the pinion I got my angle finder from mac tools but you can get them at hardware, tool or welding supply stores usually under $20 trying to get to 0 will be tough I'm guessing
Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 PM

IanThrones- Your CB angle is the same as mine. Your Tcase angle is a bit higher, and your rear angle is for sure... do you have a long bed? or did they change somethinb between '04 & '07? How much lift do you have??

Yes, getting the Tcase U joint to 0* will pretty much be impossible. so we have to adjust the Carrier Bearing via spacer(s) and shims, and the pinion via shims. Try to get the angles as good as possible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.