Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need advice on my front end noise....

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  20046.0 
#1 ·
Hello all. My truck is making a creaking & kind of popping noise when I am at low speeds and turning. This ocurrs when turning into a parking spot, an entrance to a store, or any slow speed turning. It does not matter whether it is right or left. If there are any bumps in the turn then it is a bit more pronounced. I have mods to the front suspension, but this problem appeared fairly recently and nothing has changed about the front suspension in about 3-4 months.

I checked it out somewhat. I had a buddy push up-and-down on the front bumper while I was under it listening. We could not duplicate the noise this way. I did notice some play in the outer axle yoke but I am unsure if the amount of play is normal or if it has any bearing on this type of noise. When I grab the u-joint at the hub and push it up-and-down, both sides move about a quarter of an inch--is this within spec??

I am hoping some of you have had this issue or have read about it somewhere. I have searched and searched and have had no luck as of yet.
Thanks for any help.
--Chris

#3 ·
Jack the truck up and see if you have play in the wheel. Grab the tire on the top and bottom and wiggle it. Then grab the tire on the sides and wiggle it. IF you have a popping noise its gonna be the ball joint. It could also be the steering knuckle but you want know anything until you jack the tire(s) off the the ground.

#4 ·
If your auto hubs are failing like mine did that can cause the issue as well.

#5 ·
shock bushings could be getting wopped out? mine made all kinds of noises, I threw some washers in to take up some slop and tightened my shocks down like crazy and it made 90% of my noise go away.

Sway bar end links and bushings make popping noises as well.

those would be the two easiest (and least expensive) things to check/try first

#6 ·
-Check for play in ball joints. Jack truck up till the front tires are off the ground and proccede to move the tire(s) up and down to check for play.

-Auto hubs could be stuck in position and could cause a pop noise. Jack truck up remove front tires and see if the selector knob will turn.

-Sway bar bushing could be worn out check to see if they are dry and rotted.

Just to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.