Choosing a leveling kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Power Stroker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to stroking 7.3
Choosing a leveling kit

I have a F350 4WD Long Bed with a a 7.3 Diesel. I have Bilstein shocks that are almost new, the shocks can take up to a 2.5" lift. How to I measure to see how much lift I need to level? If my from springs a creaking pretty bad am I better of looking leveling kits that replace springs? Will replacing springs give me a better ride that Shackle kits? Can I buy leveling components that allow me to keep my existing shocks? Any thing else that needs replacing when you level truck? Any recommendations for me to look into?
Preferr to improve ride, not make it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you have several options.

1. level kit that uses a mini spring pak under you leafs, this keeps stock shock length. ( should also be made of spring steel, not cut plate shims )

2. a shackle/hanger mount lift kit. this achieves better ride due to more travel, but it does require new shocks. (try to spec both , due to keeping caster angles correct )

3. replacement factory or aftermarket leafs, .....stock still needs help to level, aftermarket can be speced for amount of lift.

in both cases, i would highly recommend a new ADJUSTABLE track bar, reason being , you are not dropping the steering angle with a pitman arn change, but to keep you steering angles correct you need to recenter the axle. this will eliminate bumpsteer issues.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Power Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
you have several options.

1. level kit that uses a mini spring pak under you leafs, this keeps stock shock length. ( should also be made of spring steel, not cut plate shims )

2. a shackle/hanger mount lift kit. this achieves better ride due to more travel, but it does require new shocks. (try to spec both , due to keeping caster angles correct )

3. replacement factory or aftermarket leafs, .....stock still needs help to level, aftermarket can be speced for amount of lift.

in both cases, i would highly recommend a new ADJUSTABLE track bar, reason being , you are not dropping the steering angle with a pitman arn change, but to keep you steering angles correct you need to recenter the axle. this will eliminate bumpsteer issues.
1 and 3 sound better. Saw that some spring kits had track bar and others didn't. Thanks for advise. Any idea how to determine how much lift needed?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that will depend on you, best way is to measure center of hubs to fender edge, if level....make them match, if raked is the look, 1" higher on rear is about stock appearence.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Any lift of 2" or more needs a adj track bar..in your case I would get the mini spring pack by Deaver and a adj track bar as lifting the truck 2" get close to maxing the shock.

We have whats needed...
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Power Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
Any lift of 2" or more needs a adj track bar..in your case I would get the mini spring pack by Deaver and a adj track bar as lifting the truck 2" get close to maxing the shock.

We have whats needed...
Got my attention. Have not heard of Deaver, but just Googled it. Mini Spring Pack? I am going to measure truck and see if 2" will work. If not I may have to sell my Bilsteins, rather keep them if possible. I am in research stage now, this is a after Deer Season project. But something I am going to do. May be a Christmas present to myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.