Towing set ups. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Towing set ups.

Ok let me start by saying that I DO NOT WANT AIR BAGS. Ive got an 00 F250 that I use around the farm, to move livestock, and haul horses. Its also my DD

However our big trailer is Heavy, its a 4horse with living qtrs, I have pulled the trailer all over the country , but im considering some version of helper springs.

Does anyone have any experience with the Timbren Helpers? Im really leaning towards something like the Hellwig helper springs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had timbrens on a 06 F 250, they helped when pulling my fifth wheel. In the end i traded for a 07 F 350 DRW, you can never have too BIG a truck
Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 AM

What do you have against air bags?

I ask because today's sure bags are quite a bit better then yesterdays. They've come a long way and are highly recommended now a days. Even the self leveling versions are allot better.

Just curious.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide App.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
Ok let me start by saying that I DO NOT WANT AIR BAGS. Ive got an 00 F250 that I use around the farm, to move livestock, and haul horses. Its also my DD

However our big trailer is Heavy, its a 4horse with living qtrs, I have pulled the trailer all over the country , but im considering some version of helper springs.

Does anyone have any experience with the Timbren Helpers? Im really leaning towards something like the Hellwig helper springs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Jim
If you have the factory helper springs already, you can double them up. I did that, and still kept my air bags. Then, after getting tired of my Lance camper "floating" on the bags, and considering the finger-nail deep cracks in them after only 2 years, I tossed them in the trash and ordered an additional set of helper springs from Hellwig. These lay over (and bolt to) the OEM helper springs, but have a steeper arch, and two leaves per side. So I know have the main spring pack plus a "quad" pack of helper springs on each side. Then, to be able to fine tune the engagement point (and amount of droop), I also use a set of Torklift Stable Loads. Here is a link to some photos of my setup from another thread I started in 2011, and then updated in 2012. 7,000 LB Coil Springs and Dual Rear Helper Leafs - Nice!

P.S. - The Lance 845 in the photos weighs about 3,500LB when ready to camp.

Last edited by skanj0; 09-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
What do you have against air bags?

I ask because today's sure bags are quite a bit better then yesterdays. They've come a long way and are highly recommended now a days. Even the self leveling versions are allot better.

Just curious

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide App.
the truck had a set of bags on it when I got it, and while they were fine for leveling the load they left something to be desired after banging up and down gravel roads hunting and running dogs.

When they started to crack I pitched them in the corner of the barn. Ive had a couple of buddies who have had similar experiences with their airbags starting to crack and Im just not a fan of them.

jim
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM

wouldent any helper sping(s) help i guess?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM

I put firestone bags on my leveled F150 Crew 4x4 to help the sag when pulling the toy hauler. I've since stepped up to a 250 crew with a 4"lift and I'm looking at the roadmaster suspension for it. Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs
Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM

I put stock dually rear leafs on my truck, original helper spring was retained. My stockers had a snapped leaf on each side. They jacked the back end up a couple inches. The truck tows daily and never looks like its squatting. Its hard to tell from my sig pic because its in the sand. When the trailer is off it looks awesome in IMO, I cant stand the stock wheel "leveled" look.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have the Timbren Helpers, on my truck and don't care that much for them.
I will swap you for your airbags, if both will enterchange. I think I can buy
new bags for yours.
Doug
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
Doug,

What do you not like about the Timbrens? I have been looking at them as well. Most people seem to prefer the air bags here, but no one has really said why the micro-cell urethane helpers are undesirable.

I'm just trying to feed my brain here.

-David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.