STEERING WANDERS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
STEERING WANDERS

I went from 39.5" tires to a 43" tire now my truck wants to wander when going down the road. there is no play in any of the steering or suspension componets it didn't start doing it until i put the bigger tires on i do not have dual stabilizers pretty sure i need them so they have already been ordered anyone else think that that'll fix it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 f-250 LARIAT, SCT LIVEWIRE, S&B CAI, 8" MBRP STACK

Last edited by JD_MILLS; 09-02-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Not sure if this is your problem, but with my 35's, they tend to follow the wear zones in the road. If there is a bit of a dip or worn area that really accents a crown, they will pull to the lowest area. It's aggravating at the least. I notice when driving a stock truck, this seems to be non-existent.

Again, may not be the same, but moving up to a bigger size tire will increase the sidewall, thus cause more side flex leading to a more 'drifty' ride.

2005 F-250 CC SB-SCT,Edge Insight,5" MBRP, 5" ProComp lift, dual-stabilizers, 35x12.50 Federal Couragia MT, 20x10 Fuel Hostages, B&W ball, Truxedo roll cover
post #3 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYmxracer52 View Post
Not sure if this is your problem, but with my 35's, they tend to follow the wear zones in the road. If there is a bit of a dip or worn area that really accents a crown, they will pull to the lowest area. It's aggravating at the least. I notice when driving a stock truck, this seems to be non-existent.

Again, may not be the same, but moving up to a bigger size tire will increase the sidewall, thus cause more side flex leading to a more 'drifty' ride.
the sidewall of the new ones don't give much they're 12" wide i was running 39.5x13.50 20 the new ones are 43x12 20 its just a really strange feeling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 AM

it maybe the tire it self. does it feel like it is floating if you play with the wheel, some tires have a feeling like this for a few miles, i have had nittos that felt like i was on ice, kind of settled in after a few hundred miles, i sure the larger side wall height has some factor , even if it s stiffer.

04 F-250 CCSB 4X4 6.0L Auto, tweaked by GEARHEAD

follow link to truck for sale

post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
get the duals on and post back

last alignment?

Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial

We Miss you Ronnie

post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It most likely is the tires.....

What kind of tires are they? Sometimes it is tough to find ones that are truely round at that diameter... LOL

2001 - 14" OUO 525 - 38x15.5x20 Toyo & 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. Hybrids, 38R, BTS, Spearco, Terminators..

Quote of the Day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You will get some axle wrap with a heavy trailer, I can feel it when towing my gooseneck with some heavy equipment. My Deavers will wrap enough to make the tires rub the front of the rear fender well if I give it too much throttle on aceleration.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

i had them cut a few days ago so now they're supposed to be perfectly round.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode