Shackle concerns - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shackle concerns

Hey guys,

I recently had 2in shackles installed on my truck to level out my 7.3 F250. I did much research on the internet before buying them and the general consesus seemed that it would be no problem, other then my axle might be slightly off center without an adjustable track bar. My truck now steers and tracks down the road better, but the sway bar now cuts it extremely close to the springs, the ride is a little rougher, and when i cut the steering wheel hard the wheels look to be at a stressful angle. I have not yet got an alignment because I am on a thin buget and dont want to spend the money until I make up my mind about keeping the shackles or not.

Photos ive seen of other 2 inch shackle lifts on the internet show the sway bar cutting it close but not quite as close as mine, or some people seem to have completely removed their sway bars. Should I worry about my sway bar or the stress on the front end? I have gone over some pretty huge bumps and so far no issues. Keep in mind I havent done an alignment yet. It might be a good time for me to invest in a better 1.5-2 inch leveling solution since I have a mechanic who is temporarily willing to do 2hrs of labor for free if I want to swap a different kit in, but my buget is so tight at the moment that I want some 2nd opinions. I'm a newbie when it comes to suspension lifts.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
look at each side, you need to recenter your axle. your axle ahould not go side to side, so the only contact may be during articulation , but otherwise , a vertical plane should be the only movement
Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, my trucks solid axle front end is much different then other vehicals ive owned. Should an alignment at a good shop take care of the issues and recenter the axle? is an adjustable track bar crucial?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM

yes it is, when you lift, the track bar is a fixed length, you raise , and point a to point b gets longer, but you track bar does not..... you have to slide the diff over to make the length.

depending on the size of lift, you may need a pitman arm to correct steering angles, if this is the case, you will need a drop track bar bracket to keep it parallel to the steering, in that case, an adjustable may NOT be needed.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

2" inch shackles with no reloaction of the front mount WILL change your caster. How much? I'm not sure. Is there enough adjustment to compensate? Again, not sure. I had a 2 inch add-a-leaf on mine for a while, I didn't have any problems with axle center, track bar, etc. But, I also used an add-a-leaf.

Personally, I wouldn't have gone that route for two reasons, 1. The caster change, and 2. You could have simply unbolted your upper shackle mount, and reversed it to the bottom of the frame.

My second lift from Top Gun Customz did EXACTLY that with a 3" dropped hanger in the front, again, no alignment issues. It also came with a track bar drop bracket and dropped pitman arm because with the add-a-leaf it was 5 inches.

IMO, get a drop hanger for the front to correct you caster. Further, I don't believe 2 inches of lift is enough to justify an adjustable track bar, provided its not simply a shackle lift. Sorry, I think that method is really bad on the front of any truck.

Last edited by Karls03; 08-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys - I think I will shop for something between $2-300 to get the same 2 inch lift and get rid of the shackle lift all together. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM

there is nothing wrong with what you have, you just need a matched hanger for the front of the leaf. contact trevor at PMF, he is a vendor of this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.