OBS Sky RSK SD Spring Conversion?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation OBS Sky RSK SD Spring Conversion??

So Im planning on doing a SAS with a Dana 60 into my truck in the next few weeks. Problem though making it a bit more complicated is I already have (I believe) is a 6" lift on my truck currently. The measurement on the front shocks eye to eye is right around 21". I was told this is a 6" lift, is that correct?

My initial intention was to go cheap for now and use my current front lift springs and just toss the 60 under it and call it good, for now. But there is a part Id need in the RSK from Sky that Id have to purchase separately, if I bite the bullet and do the whole kit now, itd save me that much money in the long run.

More to the point, this is the kit I'm looking at. 92-97 Ford OBS Super Duty Leaf Conversion Shackle - Sky's Off-road Design

Its the *newer* kit they have specifically designed for SD springs. My main question is-- am I going to need just regular stock SD springs to keep my truck level with the current lift in the back, or would a pair of SD leveling springs make it level? Im thinking if the kit only adds 4" of lift, SD front leveling springs would make it sit about perfect front/rear and I wont have to touch the rear setup. Thats my goal. Maybe down the road I can look at trying to put rear SD springs in it to finish it off, but my budget is tight right now. I have a source to get either stock SD springs or leveling springs for the front for 100 bucks a pair, used. Something that makes it more confusing is Ive heard that just putting the D60 in without changing anything else can add up to 1"-1 1/2" of lift just that alone. Is that true?

Any one do this kit yet and can offer advice? I called Sky and didnt get any more info other than "it adds about 4" of lift, my kids designed it that way, and its built around the stock SD springs" --Basically what was already advertised online. Im looking at this kit rather than their older kit as it looks like it doesnt require to modify the frame horns to go to super duty springs. (the guy I spoke with at sky wasnt even sure if this was required or not) While I have the skills to do that, I dont have a welder and a torch. This kit looks primarily bolt on, other than drilling a few holes, and a small possibility of notching the bumper.

What could help out is getting ride height measurements from someone who has installed this kit on their truck. True size of tires, shock measurement from eye to eye, measurement to bottom of front frame horn, measurement to body line that runs horizontal... and anything else that might be pertinent...

So, do I really have a 6" lift? Would stock or leveling SD springs put me at level with my current suspension in the rear? Does just the D60 add lift by itself alone? Does this kit require modifying the frame horns?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 02:47 PM

Bump

I'm interested in this too. Thank you!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

all i can tell u is putting a SAS under your truck will five u closer to 2.5-3" of lift....but doint that on top of an RSK i have no idea.... best person to call is Cary @ CT Performance about this subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.