Help with a custom 16" lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with a custom 16" lift

New guy here, Im selling my old 06 F150 with a 10" for an 04 CC f250. I want to pull ideas from some of the best kits out there, the looks and performance of a OUO with the comfort of a Kelderman. Just open to hearing ideas, and suggestions before I dive into this, id like to make a drop bracket, like the OUO offroad kit, delete leaf springs, put coil overs all around, with aribage towards the center of the frame to help with flex. Ive got a group of guys local to me with a lot of experience building offroad rigs, but not street rigs. The goal is to keep this as functional as possible, and keep it with a show truck theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Call trevor at precision metal fab (pmf)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ditto, this guy seems to know large airride systems.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweb30 View Post
New guy here, Im selling my old 06 F150 with a 10" for an 04 CC f250. I want to pull ideas from some of the best kits out there, the looks and performance of a OUO with the comfort of a Kelderman. Just open to hearing ideas, and suggestions before I dive into this, id like to make a drop bracket, like the OUO offroad kit, delete leaf springs, put coil overs all around, with aribage towards the center of the frame to help with flex. Ive got a group of guys local to me with a lot of experience building offroad rigs, but not street rigs. The goal is to keep this as functional as possible, and keep it with a show truck theme.
I have an OUO kit on my truck. Pretty much does everything that it isn't supposed to. Corners, rides, handles, steers amazing. Everything is adjustable, shocks, ride height, swap out a few parts and I go from a 12" kit to a 16" kit. Or if I head into California, in a couple hours I can lower the entire truck down to a legal 31" frame height. When you spend this kind of money you truly getting a custom suspension system that works. Nothing is going to hit when you cycle the suspension, your bumpstops will work before your shocks bottom out. OUO even has a setup with rear bags for the guys who do a lot of towing. Still has CRAZY travel and does everything it isn't supposed to do.

SEMA really opened my eyes up to how many "show" trucks can't even drive down the road. We went on a photo shoot and it was amazing to see these cool looking trucks but they couldn't even go 30 mph in a straight line. SERIOUSLY, guys were coming up to us asking us how fast we can drive, does your truck do this, or do that, does it have bump steer, how well does it corner. These guys are all running custom suspension systems and probably had more money into their kits than we did. It was obvious that these people had bought something that looked cool, had some shiney blue coilovers, but they can't even drive or enjoy the truck.

Honestly, if you are even thinking about spending this kind of money with any companies who say they build suspension systems. You get references and talk to the people who are actually running their product, if possibly you should even drive a truck. Not just one person, talk with multiple people running a full suspension systems.

When you are looking at this kind of $ range of kit it is almost like buying a car. Have you ever bought a car without ever driving it? I sure the hell wouldn't.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
I have an OUO kit on my truck. Pretty much does everything that it isn't supposed to. Corners, rides, handles, steers amazing. Everything is adjustable, shocks, ride height, swap out a few parts and I go from a 12" kit to a 16" kit. Or if I head into California, in a couple hours I can lower the entire truck down to a legal 31" frame height. When you spend this kind of money you truly getting a custom suspension system that works. Nothing is going to hit when you cycle the suspension, your bumpstops will work before your shocks bottom out. OUO even has a setup with rear bags for the guys who do a lot of towing. Still has CRAZY travel and does everything it isn't supposed to do.

SEMA really opened my eyes up to how many "show" trucks can't even drive down the road. We went on a photo shoot and it was amazing to see these cool looking trucks but they couldn't even go 30 mph in a straight line. SERIOUSLY, guys were coming up to us asking us how fast we can drive, does your truck do this, or do that, does it have bump steer, how well does it corner. These guys are all running custom suspension systems and probably had more money into their kits than we did. It was obvious that these people had bought something that looked cool, had some shiney blue coilovers, but they can't even drive or enjoy the truck.

Honestly, if you are even thinking about spending this kind of money with any companies who say they build suspension systems. You get references and talk to the people who are actually running their product, if possibly you should even drive a truck. Not just one person, talk with multiple people running a full suspension systems.

When you are looking at this kind of $ range of kit it is almost like buying a car. Have you ever bought a car without ever driving it? I sure the hell wouldn't.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM

If you got the cash OUO is the way to go. Truck is going to be sitting highhh. What tires you going to run?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 PM

40 inch tires with ~16" lift, I wanted to put air bags on all the corners so i could drop it when entering and still be able to tow.

Layson, how would I go about test driving these? I live in the middle of nowhere, I would drop the cash on that kit if it could do what i needed it to.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If you want to fly out and drive mine, I can arrange that. Its a 1999 with a 14" full air ride kit. I need a little notice as we are still building it but the motor and suspension is done for the most part.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint-6oh View Post
Call trevor at precision metal fab (pmf)
just FYI if it wasn't apparent by His signature LOL

Not Stock the above poster is Trevor @ Precision Metal Fab or PMF

and has a lot of great builds posted in these forums
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweb30 View Post
40 inch tires with ~16" lift, I wanted to put air bags on all the corners so i could drop it when entering and still be able to tow.

Layson, how would I go about test driving these? I live in the middle of nowhere, I would drop the cash on that kit if it could do what i needed it to.
I don't think One Up Offroad builds front air bag setups. There are probably some real good reasons why they don't. I could think of a few myself. But either way it would be worth a call to Marty at Trucktoyzperformance or Dave at One Up Offroad to discuss.

As far as driving these trucks, all you would have to do is call up Marty or Dave. You get yourself a plane ticket, and fly out. I would imagine there are quite a lot kits on trucks in Texas right now... LOL. I have no idea on how many but I this is how bad it is there, there was a chick that ordered two full kits... LOL. I know in my area there are seven of them within a hundred miles of me. There are probably more. I road in and drove four of them before I bought mine. I even put about a 1,000 miles on one of them. In all honesty though, there may be one in your area and you don't even know it. These kits have gone all over the country and even out of this country...LOL

If it were me I would talk with Marty. Then maybe head to texas. The price of a plane ticket is real cheap compared to a kit. To me it is worth it, how would you feel if you spent 10-15k and your truck ends up driving like ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.