Airbags on my lifted truck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airbags on my lifted truck.

Stats are in signature, need to put some airbags on my truck. I was wondering if those firestone kits would work with my 8" icon leaf spring in the rear. Never ran bags before just wanna make sure I don't order something that won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they do make spacers to fit the bag mounts to alifted truck, but the bag limits suspension droop. look into CARLI, they offer long travel bags for dodges, they may offer them for ford.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

if you want real bags, that will actually level your ride with 3000+ load, get the big rig air bags that are about 9 inches in wide... those little air ride bags that are made for our "passenger trucks" are a joke.... with 100 pounds in them, which is the maximum, my truck was still sagging 1.5 inches with a 3000# camper on it... so i put some bags off of a peterbuilt big rig on my 2001 f350, and with a mere 35 ponds of air pressure, it was perfectly level... with 40 pounds, the rear was higher then the front!!!! i will never run those stupid little ones again!!!!!! u will have to drill A couple of holes to mount them, as the factory holes in the bags are meant to line up with a big rig set-up, but that is obviously no biggie...
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM

I have airbags with my lift. 5" rear Icon springs. I just flipped my normal height bracket over but had to modify it for clearance. Firestone offers the same size bracket, but with the flanges which I modified already in the proper placing.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgearhead View Post
if you want real bags, that will actually level your ride with 3000+ load, get the big rig air bags that are about 9 inches in wide... those little air ride bags that are made for our "passenger trucks" are a joke.... with 100 pounds in them, which is the maximum, my truck was still sagging 1.5 inches with a 3000# camper on it... so i put some bags off of a peterbuilt big rig on my 2001 f350, and with a mere 35 ponds of air pressure, it was perfectly level... with 40 pounds, the rear was higher then the front!!!! i will never run those stupid little ones again!!!!!! u will have to drill A couple of holes to mount them, as the factory holes in the bags are meant to line up with a big rig set-up, but that is obviously no biggie...
Don't know what brand you were running but with 200 gallons of diesel and my 36' gooseneck at 28,000 lbs I can level my truck using the little bags. Granted a larger area requires less pressure to displace the weight.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 PM

My little baby Firestone bags work very well. The mounts were crappy at first but I got those fixed up. With a tandem dual gooseneck and a backhoe, I can have the same stance that I do when there's nothing hooked up to it. I'm sure the big rig bags are cool but I think they look out of place on our tiny trucks.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:03 AM

So I can use a firestone kit with some modification to the mounting brackets? I have access to free bags and brackets off a w900l and bigger is always better isn't it haha.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 AM

I will snap you a pic of mine
it's on an 8 inch all spring lift ,, outboard mount

I cut the lower flanges and added plate to make them longer
Old 08-04-2012, 07:32 AM

due to the arch of the spring you may want to have one leg shorter that the other and I also angled the flange that sits on the spring si it matched the angle there also ,, there are internal braces not seen to stiffen it up

this works great because you can access the bag mounting screws to undue them easily when need be

it also accommodates longer than stock u bolt threads whereas the stock plates will not ,, forcing you to cut the threads down
Attached Thumbnails
Airbags on my lifted truck.-p7221400.jpg   Airbags on my lifted truck.-p7221401.jpg  

Last edited by ZMANN; 08-04-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: fix pic
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 AM

ps when installed correctly these "little bags" work fine for any load I have hauled

they can change the stance of my truck up to 3 inches between deflated (5psi min)
or the full 100 psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.