Serving Our Country!
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shaw AFB
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to reduce 6" lift to 4", possible?
Hey guys, I hope you can help me
So I bought a used ProComp Stage II 6” lift with 10K on it’ish with all the big parts and it's very clean. It was used, designed for 08-10 SD’s, and came with most everything(I think) to lift my truck. I got a steal on it for what I received (I think, again), $550, radius arms, springs, drop pitman arm, track bar drop bracket, bump stops, spacers, carrier bearing drop, and little bits associated. I’d say it’s 98% there from what’s advertised on the procomp websight, but I’m not 100% what truly comes with these kits out of the box.
This said, the guy I purchased from complained of bump stops bottoming out and he said to shave them down an inch or so to prevent bottom. He ran the ES9000 shocks which he sold already. No biggie I thought, I can figure it all out....
I’m thinking a few things at this point:
1) I didn’t really want a full 6” lift and would rather have a 4”, but I could live with it
2) I think his springs may have the rates for a gas engine given the bump stop bottoming comment. I couldn’t confirm that the kit came of a 6.4, but the kid and his father were asking me about my fuel milage/what I had done to my truck/what my tune was, etc... So I think they did indeed pull the kit from a diesel.
3) I could purchase a 4.5” or 4” springs (Carli/Icon), a fresh set of brand shocks matched for the springs (Bilstein/King/whatever) shocks rated for 4” lift, which I need anyways, delete one of the extra rear blocks to lower the rear (I’ve got a few to chose from), and then have myself a nice performing 4” setup that would look awesome with a set of 35’s.
So for roughly the same price of a new lift kit, I think I have the opportunity to have fully customized and great performing setup for the same price and with some high quality parts. Like I said, I’m in for $550 at this point and I'm working with a completely stock truck(suspension wise), I could sell it and start over easily for sure, but I like the head start I have going for me. Again, I’d originally planned on 4” lift, so I really want to make this work, I’m just really green on the mix and match mods and I’m not sure if it’s possible.
Here are the parts I’m thinking of getting:
- 4” front springs from ICON/Carli
- Helwig front sway, possibly rear too
- Matching Shocks from spring maker ICON/Carli
I should be good to go right? What do you guys think? Any issues making this happen?
Thanks for taking you time in reading this! I will truly owe you all big time if this works out for me!
Spartan'd, 4" ICON Stage II, 35" Duratracs, XPD additive and M1 full synthetic