Steering issue...GAH!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering issue...GAH!!!!

so far ive taken my truck in twice...replaced steering shock....helped out a little. Next trip Drag links were replaced.

There is play in my steering wheel which leads to death wobble! Anytime i dont hold pressure right or left on my steering wheel and hit a bump in the highway my whole truck shakes violently. Front wheels look like they are going to flop off and stops as soon as i drop to 40mph. THis is really frustrating as you have to strategically drive down the highway. It also almost sheered through one of the bolts that holds the steering shock on.

You guys have any ideas on this. Truck is a 2009 f250 Crew 4x4. i have 35xxx miles so far. its all warrantied, but cant stand dropping my truck off all the time to get worked on. only issue ive ever had so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Don't you worry about it

get a new track bar and a set of dual steering stabilizers. People will tell you that its a band aid but if it stops it then go for it.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
TRACK BAR first, then alignmnent !!!!!!!!!! DO NOT MASK THE SITUATION WITH STABILIZERS. they can cover up DW, and that is avery bad thing. figure out what is bad, and fix it. like said , track bar is usually the culprit, and sometimes if the castor is off, it positions the balljoint closer to vertical and they dont like that. a toe change can also help hide or fix this issue.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Premium Member

the looseness in the steering seems like it would be something else, but i will take your word for it. I just figured since the trackbars on these trucks are adjustable like my jeep there should be play in the steering. I guess i will see if they can replace the trackbar. all the bushings look good and feel tight though....or whatever you call them.

They checked all the ball joints, tie rods, etc..... The thing is i have an icon lift with dual bilstein stabs, but i dont want to do a lift if the issue is in any of the steering portion...
Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Steering wheel while driving down the road, if you jerk it to the right it returns to the center, but when yhou jerk it to the left and release, it wont return to center.

Service guy said he is going to look at the steering gear, as it has been messed with by the first owner as well. So we will see.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Don't you worry about it

Dual stabilizers are not going to hurt anything. They are cheap and help the way the truck drives. Get a set.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DO NOT GET DUALS , to assist in correcting this. it may sound like a steering box gone bad. you can adjust them, but only very little. look into REDHEAD for a replacement.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb99 View Post
DO NOT GET DUALS , to assist in correcting this. it may sound like a steering box gone bad. you can adjust them, but only very little. look into REDHEAD for a replacement.
^^^^X2

Throwing dual stabilizers on a truck with DW is like putting more band aids on an infected gunshot blast. It will stop the bleeding for a little bit but that is about it.

I would look for play in your steering box and also for damage to the stabilizer. If the stablizer is bent or dented it could cause it to hang up so there is no return to center.

Also,
How much caster do you have?

George
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Not sure on the caster numbers. I forgot to ask the last time i dropped the truck off. They still have it. Dropped it off last thursday. its wednesday night now. I will make sure and ask next time. The stabalizer is brand new they replaced it first and it helped a little, but not even close to being fixed when they did that.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Screw dual stabilzers. Get poly track bar bushings, check your steering box for play and get hydro assist. :p An Maybe check leaf spring bushings too but thats pretty extreme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.